Tower Hill Botanic Garden, headquarters of the Worcester County Horticultural Society, is seeking a skilled, passionate Gardener with fine gardening experience, and a commitment to excellence. The candidate will contribute to the care of diverse gardens, conservatories, trails and natural spaces. The Worcester County Horticultural Society is now in its 175th year, and founded Tower Hill Botanic Garden in 1986. The Garden now has 17 distinct gardens on 132 acres. Its newest garden was opened in 2016, and plans are underway for additional gardens and landscape enhancements in the next few years. We are committed to inspiring the use and appreciation of horticulture to improve lives, enrich communities and strengthen commitment to the natural world.
Tower Hill Botanic garden is located in Boylston, MA. Please note that personal transportation is required. Tower Hill welcomes diversity.
The ideal candidate for the Gardener position will work well independently, and as part of a team. They will have experience with sustainable horticulture and landscape management, and will bring fine horticulture skills and take pride in his/her craft, and must be willing to work a flexible schedule. The candidate will be adaptable and willing to contribute to all aspects of the work of the horticulture department, and the institution. A passion for plants, commitment to excellence and an ability to work with a variety of staff, volunteers and the public are essential.
The position is full-time, year-round with a flexible schedule, including holiday and weekend rotations.
1. 3-years experience in public or estate horticulture
2. Experience with a variety of landscape and horticulture equipment (tractors, mowers, trucks, plows, weed whips, pruners, chainsaw, etc)
3. Must be able to lift 50 pounds repeatedly and work outdoors in all seasonal extremes.
4. A strong sense of design and knowledge of plants suited to the New England climate
5. Experience in integrated pest management; capable of obtaining a MA pesticide license
6. Proficiency with technology for research and communications, including Microsoft Office suite and familiarity with Collections Management Software; BG-Base preferred
7. Ability to lead tours and speak publicly is a plus
8. A valid driver’s license is required
Resumes and letter of interest should be directed to Joann Vieira, Director of Horticulture at firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please.