Tohono Chul seeks a team-oriented Maintenance Technician who will thrive in a fast-paced environment and who is well-suited to working collaboratively with staff and volunteers. Responsible for preserving the good condition and functionality of Tohono Chul’s grounds, buildings, vehicles and equipment. This position will perform tasks of great variety such as general cleaning, landscaping, irrigation, carpentry, painting, electrical, plumbing, heating, ventilation and air conditioning. Will be responsible for supervising the Custodian position. Working conditions include outdoor environment, extreme temperatures, cleaning materials and equipment and lifts or carries heavy objects. This position requires a workweek of Saturday through Wednesday and occasional work on evenings, nights, and holidays.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Inspects buildings and other structures to determine functional systems and detect malfunctions and perform needed repairs.
• Perform electrical work such as removing and replacing motors, fuses, switches and outlets, light bulbs, cables and installing conduit.
• Performs minor plumbing maintenance such as: replace or repair leaks in drains, faucets, unclogging of drains, trenching and laying new lines, irrigation etc.
• Performs painting, carpentry, and masonry work for interior and exterior of buildings.
• Assist in the setup of ventilation, refrigeration and other systems and conduct repairs when necessary.
• Maintain heating and plumbing systems to ensure functionality.
• Inspect alarm and or fire protection systems and schedule repairs when needed.
• Keep shop and work areas clean and safe from hazards.
• Order parts and maintain required documents.
• Assist with function setups for semi-annual plant sales and other Tohono Chul events.
• May perform basic plant care, landscape and custodial maintenance as needed.
• Other duties as assigned
Education and Experience
• Associate’s degree (A.A.) or equivalent from two-year college or technical trade school; or equivalent combination of training, education and experience.
• Two to five years mechanical experience, including electrical, HVAC, plumbing, carpentry, required.
• Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions and procedure manuals.
• Proficient in relevant computer software and hands-on experience with Microsoft Outlook, Word and Excel.
• Must meet all physical requirements and be able to take direction.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Basic understanding of electrical, welding, plumbing, irrigation and HVAC systems.
• Knowledge of general maintenance processes and methods.
• Working knowledge of tools, common appliances and methods.
• Strong communication and organizational skills.
• Ability to evaluate objectively, fairly and consistently.
• Able to work independently and prioritize multiple tasks.
• Able to follow oral and written instructions.
• Able to work effectively with a team.
Submit resume and cover letter via email to:
Penny Poynter, Director of Finance and HR at email@example.com