Tohono Chul seeks a team-oriented Custodian who will thrive in a fast-paced environment and who is well-suited to working collaboratively with staff and volunteers. Responsible for performing custodial duties, minor maintenance and other miscellaneous duties to ensure Tohono Chul’s grounds and buildings are clean, healthy, safe and sanitary. Working conditions include outdoor environment, extreme temperatures, cleaning materials and equipment and lifts or carries heavy objects. This position requires a workweek of Thursday through Monday and occasional work on evenings, nights, and holidays.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Clean building floors by sweeping, mopping, scrubbing, polishing, vacuuming and steam-clean or shampoo carpets.
• Service, clean, sanitize and supply restrooms using established practices and procedures
• Clean sinks, countertops, microwaves, and refrigerators in office areas
• Clean windows and windowsills
• Dust furniture, walls, machines and equipment
• Remove trash and usable boxes to appropriate areas
• Mix water and detergents or acids in containers to prepare cleaning solutions, according to specifications.
• Follow procedures for use of chemical cleaners and power equipment, in order to prevent damage to floors and fixtures
• Move heavy furniture, equipment and supplies, either manually or by using hand trucks
• Prepare orders for janitorial supplies and stock shelves when delivered
• Perform and/or report minor maintenance repairs
• Setup of facilities for meetings, classrooms, conferences, weddings and other events
• Operate vehicles and powered equipment, such as trucks, golf carts, or other equipment to perform tasks
• Use hand tools, such as shovels, rakes, pruning saws, saws,
• Other duties as assigned
• One year of janitorial, grounds or landscaping experience
• High school diploma or equivalent
• Must meet all physical requirements and be able to take direction
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Working knowledge of cleaning materials and equipment and ability to learn and practice acceptable cleaning methods
• Ability to read and understand labels and instructions, particularly on the use and application of cleaning chemicals and products
• Able to work independently and prioritize multiple tasks.
• Able to follow oral and written instructions.
• Able to work effectively with a team.
Submit resume and cover letter via email to:
Penny Poynter, Director of Finance and HR at firstname.lastname@example.org