Red Butte Garden is seeking a Horticulturist for our Rose and Floral Walk Gardens and Amphitheatre. This working supervisory position is responsible for providing excellent horticultural care of specific outdoor garden areas as assigned, including the living plant collections held within. The incumbent is responsible for identifying and implementing required maintenance and preservation needs; hires, trains, supervises and evaluates the performance of staff and volunteers; assures activities do not impact Garden or private events, and coordinates special projects with appropriate personnel and departments as needed.
1. Plans, directs, and reviews horticulture maintenance programs including pruning, fertilizing, pest and disease control, watering and mulching.
2. Ensures that all aspects of necessary maintenance and preservation of assigned outdoor garden areas and their living plant collections meet excellent horticultural and aesthetic expectations and achieve individual collection objectives.
3. Serves as a professional horticulturist sharing knowledge with the public and in participation with committees.
4. Enforces departmental and University policies and protocols, including but not limited to: Safety, Collections Management, Policy and Procedures. Assists in updating and improving department policies and procedures as requested.
5. Manages assigned budget and provides recommendations for purchases.
6. May interview, hire, train and supervise benefited staff, seasonal staff and volunteers.
Bachelor’s degree in Horticulture, Biology, or a related field, or equivalency, and two years of experience in horticulture. Strong knowledge and understanding of plant culture and best practices for ornamental and/or native plant care.
Additional license requirements as determined by the hiring department.
Applicants must demonstrate the potential ability to perform the essential functions of the job as outlined in the position description.
- Advance degree in Horticulture;
- Experience working in a public garden;
- Vertebrate and/or Aquatic/Surface Water control certification;
- Three years experience in Horticulture with a strong knowledge and understanding of plant culture and best practices for a wide variety of plant taxa including roses;
- Ability to identify major plant genera and species, knowledge of latin names, and characteristics of a wide range of ornamental and native plants;
- Able to identify a wide variety of horticultural weeds, insects and diseases, including beneficial insects;
- Two year’s experience supervising others, including training, performance evaluation, and discipline;
- Must possess a valid Utah driver’s license and proof of insurability;
- Must possess or obtain within first six months of employment, a Utah Non-Commercial Pesticide Applicators License;
- A commitment to provide excellent customer service;
- Demonstrated human relations skills; including effective written and oral communication skills;
- Able to safely and effectively operate all equipment common to the trade;
- Familiarity with personal computers, Microsoft office suite.
Follow the link and click "Apply Now"