The Morris County Park Commission, which operates three unique horticultural facilities, The Frelinghuysen Arboretum, Willowwood Arboretum and Bamboo Brook in north-central NJ is seeking a professional adult education horticultural educator that is responsible for planning and implementing horticultural education programming and coordinating the activities of a thriving Community Gardening program. Bring your talents to the largest county park system in New Jersey by acreage (19,500+) and join our horticultural team of educators and gardeners in presenting some of the finest horticultural education programming in the area.
An employee in this position is responsible for developing and implementing a wide variety of programming for adults, including developing educational materials, contracting with speakers, and instructing classes in various horticultural and botanical subjects for a variety of groups, such as garden clubs, Master Gardeners, industry professionals and organizations, and the general public. This position is based at the Frelinghuysen Arboretum but will be utilized at the park system’s other horticultural sites, Willowwood Arboretum and Bamboo Brook.
• Plans, supervises and manages the successful operation of the Community Garden Program, including overseeing garden management, pest management, processing annual registration, and presenting a slate of educational programs for gardeners, among other duties.
• Develops audio‐visual, printed and other interpretive and publicity materials to promote public education and unit initiatives.
• Creates, prepares, and presents successful programs on various horticultural, botanical, and Park System topics relating to the Cultural and Environmental Resources Division; and organizes and participates in programs and events to acquaint the public with the Commission's horticultural and botanical facilities.
• Researches professional and governmental agency continuing education and training requirements (CEU’s) and integrates such training offerings into the overall horticultural education program; submits programs to regulating agencies for CEU/Credit approval and advertises programs to target audiences.
• Coordinates with various community, support, and horticultural groups, including the Friends of the Frelinghuysen Arboretum and the Willowwood Foundation, and other departments of the park system to achieve position goals.
• Researches, contacts, schedules, and confirms outside speakers for public programs.
• Coordinates with contracted presenters, volunteers, and other Arboretum staff to ensure an exceptional experience for every program participant and to provide excellent customer service.
• Plans, develops, and leads horticultural site tours
Minimum: Graduate of a college of recognized standing with a major program of study in horticulture, botany or a related field; ability to work a flexible schedule, including weekends, holidays and evenings, as required, meeting the needs of and providing continuity in the Division’s functions; at least one year of experience in presenting programs to adult groups and program development and management.
Possession of a valid New Jersey driver’s license.
Salary: $47,087.00 plus Benefits.
Applicants must pass Horticultural Program Specialist test to be eligible for this position.
Please visit http://morrisparks.net/index.php/commission/employment/ for full job description, additional information regarding the Park Commission and application instructions (include cover letter and resume). No phone calls please.
The Morris County Park Commission is an equal opportunity employer.
Deadline: until filled.