The Education Coordinator will develop, implement and oversee all environmental educational programming for Monk Botanical Gardens in Wausau, WI. Specifically, s/he will be responsible for overseeing youth based programs, as well as, providing programming targeted at families and adults.
Additionally, the Education Coordinator will supervise and train part-time staff, interns and volunteers.
• Develop a comprehensive, inclusive and diverse education program and strategies that aligns with Monk Botanical Garden goals. Develop conceptual frameworks, support materials, assessment tools, and other elements as needed.
• Develop, implement, oversee and deliver creative and engaging nature science and conservation education curriculum appropriate for grades K-12.
• Oversee all aspects of the summer program.
• Responsible for program promotion, pre-program communication, development of props and materials, and program evaluation for both in-school programs and outdoor field trips.
• Plan and implement environmental science, field research, natural history, and ecology programs for school groups, youth, family, college students, teachers and adults.
• Maintain and develop partnerships with public and private schools, and youth organizations to cultivate youth conservation leaders and junior volunteers.
• Develop partnerships with state and federal agencies, colleges, universities, research institutions, and other conservation organizations.
• In collaboration with the Executive Director and Marketing Committee, develop effective promotional materials and marketing strategies for school, summer programs and community programs, including regular updates to the website and help to generate new and robust social media and other strategies to engage schools and the community.
• Interact and work with the general public, Garden members, teachers and school officials, volunteers, and Board Members.
• Work with the Public and Private Programming committees to integrate education component into each program.
• Maintain inventory, condition and organization of educational materials, supplies and equipment.
• Develop and deliver staff and volunteer educator training sessions. Work with the Executive Director to recruit and communicate with and stewardship of staff, interns and volunteers.
• Write articles for the E-newsletter, newsletter, and other print media.
• Work with the Grounds Committee to enhance the educational aspect of the kitchen garden to the education programs.
• Develop programming for private programs such as birthday parties, tours and rentals.
Qualifications and Experience
• Bachelor’s Degree in the natural sciences, botany, horticulture, education or related field.
• Two to three years demonstrated experience in an environmnetal education setting including teaching, management experience and curriculum development, or a similar combination of education and experience, required.
• Demonstrated knowledge of educational program design and assessment, knowledge of botany, gardening and ecology, and ability to articulate knowledge and inspire participation.
• Attention to detail, excellent time-management and organizational skills, sound judgment under pressure.
• Demonstrated ability to solve problems creatively.
• Ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
• Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills.
• Capacity to work easily and effectively with a wide range of people, build relationships, be diplomatic and exhibit sensitivity to and understanding of the dynamics of a complex organization.
• Interest, understanding and commitment to the Monk Botanical Garden’s mission and vision.
• Experience with statistical/evaluation computations preferred.
• Knowledge and commitment to environmental education and connecting people with place through botany.
• General knowledge of scientific concepts and environmental issues.
• Ability to flexible hours when needed, including weekends and evenings.
• Must be willing to travel as the job requires.
• Must possess a valid driver’s license.
• Must have valid CPR/First Aid Certification or willing to get one
To apply please email a cover letter describing your qualifications, a resume and three references to Darcie Howard, Executive Director, email@example.com. For questions call 715-261-6264. Applicant must pass a background check.