Located in York, PA, Millbourne is a 50 acre private estate with English style gardens which includes formal and informal gardens, perennial gardens, a woodland garden, collections of roses, rhododendron, and Japanese maples, a Pinetum, and several interesting architectural features.
We are seeking a knowledgeable and highly qualified horticulturist to join our team as we prepare for an exciting future. The ideal candidate will be a self-starter that is able to work independently as well as with others to foster a team atmosphere. They will possess a critical eye for detail and prioritize their work load with the ability to adjust priorities as demands of the job change. This is a hands-on fulltime, 40 hours per week position with occasional weeknight and weekend work.
• Maintaining assigned areas to the highest level of horticultural excellence
• Helping with larger team projects
• All gardening and landscaping duties including, but not limited to, planting, transplanting, proper soil preparation, watering, fertilizing, deadheading, pruning, hedge shearing, weeding, edging, mulching, pesticide application, raking and digging
• Designing and maintaining containers
• Cultivating herbaceous and woody plants using best horticultural practices
• Fall cleanup and snow removal
• Using small and large power equipment
• Other duties as assigned
• Associates degree in horticulture or horticultural training from an accredited program
• Minimum of 2 years horticulture work experience involving maintenance of ornamental gardens and greenhouse work
• Knowledgeable in plant identification
• Knowledgeable in proper plant selection and placement
• Knowledgeable in best horticultural practices
• Experience designing with and cultivating perennials
• Experience with plant propagation
• Knowledgeable in and experience with proper pruning techniques
• Knowledgeable in insect and disease identification and IPM
• Experience in using large and small power equipment as well as garden related hand tools
• Valid driver’s license with a good driving record
• PA pesticide license or ability to obtain one within 90 days of employment
• Ability to lift and carry up to 50 lbs.
• Comfortable working outside in all types of weather conditions including heat, below freezing temperatures, rain, and snow
• Capable of walking, standing, bending, and kneeling for extended periods of time
• Capable of using small and large power equipment as well as typical garden related hand tools and implements
Millbourne offers our employees a competitive salary, as well as a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, and vision insurance, life insurance, retirement contribution, paid holidays, and paid time off.
For immediate consideration, we invite you to email your resume, along with a cover letter stating your salary requirements, to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Millbourne is an equal opportunity employer (EOE M/F/D/V), is committed to diversity, and invites all interested and qualified candidates to apply for this position.