Location: Fellows Riverside Gardens - Mill Creek MetroParks - Youngstown, Ohio
First Line Report: Gardens Supervisor
Second Line Report: Gardens Director
Pay Grade Level: Hourly
Employee Status: Intern
Objective/Summary: To expose intern to the many facets of an urban public garden in Ohio’s oldest park district.
1.) Free on-site housing available.
2.) College internship credit with sponsoring school.
3.) Attend Garden classes for free (materials fee may apply).
1. Gardens and plant collections…………85%
a. Assist with daily maintenance and design of contrived gardens and cultivation greenhouses, including duties such as, but not limited to, planting, pruning, and watering, weeding, mowing, fertilizing, mulching and other duties as assigned.
b. Assistant with plant record management in BG-BASE and BG-Map.
a. Assist with teaching and leading Gardens educational activities and youth programming opportunities.
b. Develop and implement educational activities, lessons, signage, and displays for youth, adults, and the general public.
c. Attend educational classes and attend field trips as permitted.
3. Promotions, Events, and Development……..5%
a. Assist with the implementation of activities for public and fundraising events including working the events.
4. Independent project…….5%
a. Formulate and create an intern research project.
Essential Knowledge, Abilities and Skills:
1. Interest in plants, coupled with a strong desire to learn and share gained knowledge with the public.
2. Interest in public horticulture.
3. Self-starting capabilities coupled with a positive and enthusiastic approach to all assigned tasks.
4. Ability to work independently and in a team setting.
5. Ability to interact and engage a diverse public audience.
6. Computer proficiency including Microsoft Office.
7. Ability to complete all assigned tasks in an efficient, timely, and professional manner.
8. High attention to detail and excitement to collaborate with others.
9. Interest in sustainability and environmental stewardship.
1. Must be at least 18 years old.
2. Currently pursuing or a college degree in horticulture, botany, ecology or an environmentally-related program of study.
Physical Requirements Necessary to Perform Job Functions:
1. Ability to perform physical labor in all indoor and outdoor environments.
2. Must be physically able to perform all tasks inherent to the position.
3. Ability to stand, sit, bend, stoop, and walk for lengthy periods of time.
4. Able to travel by car, bus, train, or plane.
5. Ability to lift 50 pounds.
6. Ability to walk, traverse or otherwise access all areas of Fellows Riverside Gardens - Mill Creek MetroParks and landscape plantings under all types of conditions and weather for purposes of maintenance and horticultural activities.
1. Must be available for weekday, weekend, and evening work as assigned.
2. Must possess a valid Driver’s License.
Wage: $10.00/hour (40 hours per week – throughout the 3 month-long internship)
To apply to this competitive internship: Please visit http://www.millcreekmetroparks.org/contact/about/employment-opportunities/
Please include a letter of interest, resume and three references.
Please also visit our websites at: http://www.millcreekmetroparks.org/ & http://www.millcreekmetroparks.org/visit/places/mill-creek-park/fellows-...