Grounds For Sculpture is seeking a full-time Horticulturist to join its team. The Horticulturist reports to the Director of Facilities and performs duties associated with maintaining and renovating Grounds For Sculpture’s landscapes and Foundation properties. This is a hands-on position and the incumbent will be expected to perform work in the landscape as well as lead tours and provide training. In addition, they will be responsible for supervising the work of staff, volunteers, various contractors and sub-contractors. As a key public face of GFS, the Horticulturist will build relationships with volunteers and guests, and be a passionate advocate for the organization.
• Directs the care of maintenance of the landscape of the sculpture park
• Analyzes landscape sites to determine culture needed to maintain the landscape and/or correct problems
• Works and coordinates with curators and artists regarding sculpture installation
• Responsible for maintaining and adjusting irrigation systems
• Responsible for water features, herb garden at Rat’s restaurant, Tree Tour and Labeling of plant material
• Responsible for Grounds For Sculpture fauna including koi, turtles, pea fowl, etc.
• Directs the application of pesticide used on the grounds. Prepares product specifications and requisitions for pesticides, chemical, plant materials, fertilizers and other supplies required to accomplish objective. Some application of fertilizers, pesticides and herbicides will be necessary
• Coordinates landscape/planting projects ensuring materials, labor and equipment are available and on-site as scheduled; Oversees the work of contractors to ensure work is performed as specified
• Investigates prospective problems with insects, diseases or other maladies that affect plants, grass, trees and shrubs. Takes action or recommends course of action to correct problems.
• Develops and recommends fertilizer program for grass, ornamental plants and flowers
• Represent GFS at local and national level in horticulture industry
• Assist other departments concerning horticulture needs
• Train staff and docents on GFS’s living assets
• Host both private and public tours
• Serves on Facilities and Grounds Committee and other committees as needed
• Communicate with GFS administration and family foundation staff to ensure procedures follow working agreements
• Work towards goal of GFS receiving nationally accredited arboretum status
• Oversee and make recommendations/changes to department operating budget
• Manage and approve invoices and billing
• Oversee tools and equipment, inventory, purchasing, and repairing
• Ensure a safe outdoor environment for guests and staff
• Responsible for the oversight of the Assistant Horticulturist
• All other duties as assigned.
• Outstanding customer service and people skills.
• Knowledge of methods, procedures, tools, materials and equipment used in maintaining machine, mechanical equipment and buildings
• Strong presentation skills
• Proven project and personnel management skills.
• Ability to prioritize and work both collaboratively and independently.
• Understanding of budget management.
• Minimum of 2-4 years of horticulture experience
• nonprofit experience preferred
• Bachelor’s degree in horticulture or related field
• Experience developing and leading tours for diverse audiences in museum, garden or similar setting
• Ability to be flexible and work evenings, weekends and holidays
• Basic Microsoft Office skills; proficient in standard word processing and spreadsheets
• Valid driver’s license
• Must be comfortable working outside in all weather conditions
Deadline for Applicants: Friday, December 1, 2017
Candidates must send the following to firstname.lastname@example.org to be considered:
• Cover Letter
• Salary Requirements
Grounds For Sculpture, Inc. adheres to a policy that prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected class.
About Grounds For Sculpture
Nestled in the heart of central New Jersey lies Grounds For Sculpture (“GFS”), a magical place where art and nature are always at play. At its core are more than 270 sculptures by renowned and emerging contemporary artists, each thoughtfully positioned on meticulously landscaped parkland full of thousands of exotic trees and flowers. It is a feast for the senses.
Grounds For Sculpture (GFS) is a 42-acre sculpture garden, museum and arboretum with major exhibition, education, performance, restaurant and visitor amenities that make contemporary art accessible by showcasing it in beautiful settings that encourage discovery and learning. Its arboretum has more than 200 cultivars of trees, thousands of flowering shrubs, and settings grand and intimate, all to spotlight art and engage the visitor. GFS' indoor rotating gallery exhibitions, performing arts events, educational programs, and family activities invite people to approach and interact with art on their terms, growing in knowledge, understanding, and joy. Last year Grounds For Sculpture attracted over 240,000 visitors.