Reports to: Director of Marketing and Audience Development
Function: The Garden Shop Retail Manager leads the day-to-day retail operations in order to maximize the guest engagement and earned revenue of a destination retail store that reflects the mission, values and strategic goals of the Garden.
Schedule: Full-time regular schedule includes weekends, with holiday rotation and occasional evening hours depending on institutional needs
Revision Date: March 2017
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily and perform other duties as assigned.
The Garden Shop Retail Manager must:
• Oversee all Garden Shop operations, including the buying program, the development and maintenance of visual displays and merchandising, supervision of daily opening and closing processes, including the completion of daily deposits.
• Lead the Garden Shop’s buying program in order to meet and exceed sales goals.
• Raise the Garden’s profile throughout the region by creating and maintaining a destination retail experience and engaging guest experiences.
• Provide accurate cash handling skills and operation of the point-of-sale (POS) system, including processing admissions, memberships, educational programs and carrying out retail sales.
• Work closely with guests on the sales floor to foster a compelling retail experience.
• Coordinate retail merchandise to complement the botanical collections and programs through a strategic partnership with the Director of Education and Outreach, the Director of Horticulture and the Director of Marketing and Audience Development.
• Effectively partner with the Guest Experience Assistant Managers in order to lead the retail and admissions functions for the Greater Des Moines Botanical Garden, developing procedures, processes and training for the frontline admissions/sales staff and volunteers.
• Provide guest experience and retail sales training in partnership with the Guest Experience Assistant Managers to staff and volunteers who interact with the public.
• Maintain knowledge of Botanical Garden programs and events to be an effective ambassador for the Garden.
• Help guests by providing general information about the Botanical Garden, including orientation and wayfinding, exhibits, special programming, membership, educational opportunities and other amenities.
• Be responsible for the operating budget, monthly budget monitoring, analyzing merchandising trends, key performance indicators, Strategic Planning and inventory as related to the Garden Shop.
• Maintain ongoing record of processes and procedures for institutional stability.
• Serve as part of a cross-departmental team that creates and executes mission-driven events and exhibits at the Garden.
• Develop, maintain and promote positive and professional relationships with internal staff, volunteers, members, vendors, contractors, media and the general public.
In conjunction with position-related skills, the successful candidate will become an integral member of the Botanical Garden team with these criteria:
• Advance the mission of the Botanical Garden by actively meeting Strategic Plan goals and supporting our Core Values and other documents that guide our organization
• Serve as a host for our guests. All staff members are expected to interact with guests with a positive attitude and welcoming demeanor. Staff members talk with guests, answer their questions and connect them to areas where they can deepen their experience with us. Create a signature guest experience by following our Guest Experience Standards and encouraging our guests to return
• Serve as part of a cross-departmental team that delivers a superior guest experience, drives membership and promotes the Botanical Garden mission
• Develop, maintain and promote positive and professional relationships with internal staff, volunteers, members, vendors, contractors, media and the general public in order to achieve departmental and organizational goals
• Maintain a commitment to, and ability to convey, the Botanical Garden’s mission with genuine passion, and the willingness to continually learn about the programs and mission
Education and Experience
• Minimum three years retail buying or store management experience with a strong aptitude for sales, guest experience, visual merchandising and leading a destination retail operation
• Bachelor’s degree in a merchandising, business or marketing or equivalent coursework desirable
• Must be available to work a schedule that includes weekends, occasional evenings and some holidays
• Must possess excellent interpersonal and verbal communication skills while working with guests, staff and volunteers
• Experience with point of sale and donor database software is an essential requirement
• Bi-lingual or multi-lingual highly desirable
Skills and Abilities
• Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal. Communicate well with guests. Remain polite, courteous and helpful at all times
• Strong organizational skills
• Working knowledge of Microsoft Office suite
• Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment
• Ability to calculate monetary transactions as well as figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions and percentages.
• Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions and procedure manuals written in the English language
• Ability to successful pass a criminal background check
Work Environment and Physical Demands
The work environment characteristics and physical demands described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Continuous communication and/or interaction with staff, volunteers, visitors and management
• Occasional bending, stooping, reaching, crouching or lifting (up to 50 lbs.)
• Prolonged periods of time standing
• The employee is frequently required to walk, sit and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl
• Requires good hand-eye coordination, arm, hand and finger dexterity including the ability to grasp, and visual acuity to use a keyboard, operate equipment and read technical information
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to wet and/or humid conditions. The employee is occasionally exposed to outside weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Qualified candidates should submit a cover letter, application with three references (available at www.dmbotanicalgarden.com/about-us/employment) and a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Review of applications will begin immediately and remain open until the candidate is hired. Only electronic applications are accepted. No paper applications will be considered.