The Senior Accountant will ensure smooth general accounting operations by controlling and analyzing Filoli’s financial transactions in an accurate and timely manner. This position is responsible for reconciling account balances and bank statements, maintaining the general ledger (GL) and performing month-end close procedures. The Senior Accountant will combine excellent analytical skills with a thorough knowledge of accounting principles to prepare financial reports and forecasts. This includes ensuring accuracy and effectiveness in all of Filoli’s accounting tasks. The Senior Accountant will report to the Director of Finance and Accounting and should have experience collaborating with program staff and a small financial team.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
• Perform month-end closing activities including preparation of complex journal entries, account reconciliation, and completion of issue resolution in a timely manner;
• Maintain accurate GL database and ensure integrity between GL and revenue and inventory database;
• Prepare financial statements and various financial analysis accurately;
• Manage full-cycle payroll functions including payroll processing, 401(k) plan upload, report review and analysis, compliance, and payroll and time and attendance system maintenance;
• Partner with Human Resources for payroll and benefit administration and compliance with wage and hour laws and other pertaining regulations;
• Collaborate with program managers to timely resolve accounting issues and assist with budget and reporting needs;
• Contribute to internal and external audits by preparing schedules and coordinate projects;
• Ensure compliance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and other legal requirements;
• Review or prepare tax and regulatory filing;
• Document and maintain policies, procedures and workflows for assigned areas of responsibilities;
• Work with Director of Finance and Accounting on appropriate fiscal strategies for the organization;
• Train and mentor junior staff;
• Contribute to department and organizational special projects as assigned;
• Update job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities, reading professional publications, maintaining personal networks and participating in professional organizations;
• Perform other accounting duties as assigned;
• Protect organization’s value by keeping information confidential and securing financial information;
• Provide the highest quality services to all customers in every interaction;
• Uphold all Filoli’s policies, procedures, guidelines, and standards;
• Maintain flexibility and perform other duties as assigned to respond to the needs of the organization;
• Attendance and punctuality are essential to work and all work-related functions;
The Senior Accountant has no direct supervisory responsibilities but does serve as a coach and mentor for the Staff Accountant. This position will occasionally supervise volunteers.
An individual must be able to perform each essential duty listed above and any additional responsibilities as directed as well as satisfy the educational and skill requirements listed below:
Education: Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance or other business related field required
• 5+ years of progressively responsible experience in general accounting;
• Experience with computerized accounting system and automation; current knowledge of Financial Edge and/or ALTRU revenue database a big plus;
• 2+ years of experience in payroll processing with a third party payroll provider; current knowledge of Paychex Flex preferred;
• 2+ years of experience with retail inventory and cost accounting preferred;
• Previous experience working in a not-for-profit with multiple revenue streams a plus;
• Previous experience working in an environment with many volunteers a plus.
Skills and Abilities:
• Thorough understanding of GAAP and knowledge of wage and hour laws and payroll regulations;
• Display strong analytical and financial management skills;
• Demonstrate and maintain a high level of confidentiality;
• Exceptional organizational skills;
• High adaptability to changes;
• Have intermediate to advanced experience with major accounting software (Financial Edge preferred) and payroll system (Paychex Flex preferred);
• High proficiency in a PC, Windows environment and Microsoft Office products (advanced knowledge of MS Excel) as well as Google Applications;
• Communicate (listening and speaking) effectively with vendors and employees of the organization;
• Demonstrate excellent written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills;
• Must be able to effectively handle multiple projects simultaneously in a deadline driven environment;
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team and take on new tasks with high level of difficulty;
• Be proactive and identify issues/tasks as a creative problem solver;
• Demonstrate a strong customer service orientation;
• Read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions and procedural manuals.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Current driver’s license and automobile insurance for personally owned car used in the course of business. A CPA designation is preferred.
The physical requirements described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job including:
• Lift/carry items up to 20 pounds;
• Stand, walk across uneven terrain, climb stairs, reach, lift, carry and bend as well as sit for long periods at a computer.
HOW TO APPLY
1. Candidates with the above prerequisites are invited to submit their resumes along with a cover letter outlining their related experience and background to: https://filoli.applicantstack.com/x/openings
2. The email subject line must say: Senior Accountant
3. Please, no phone calls
4. Please note that we are unable to provide relocation support or reimbursement
Please visit our website for more information: www.filoli.org
Filoli is an equal opportunity employer who values diversity in the workplace.