OVERVIEW OF FILOLI
Located in Woodside, California, Filoli is an historic site of the National Trust for Historic Preservation. Attracted by Filoli’s physical beauty, breadth of educational activities, hospitable venue, and comprehensive calendar of activities, more than 140,000 increasingly diverse individuals, families and groups (including elementary school classes, Boy Scout troops, senior center residents and garden clubs) visit Filoli each year.
The Education Program Assistant provides vital administrative support to the education office and will primarily focus on the continuing education program, scheduling field trips, and coordinating art exhibits. The ability to provide excellent customer service, pay close attention to detail, and expertly navigate Filoli’s database are essential requirements of the Education Program Assistant. This is a year-round, full-time position that works Tuesday through Saturday and some occasional Mondays and evenings.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
CONTINUING EDUCATION PROGRAM
• Provide support to instructors and adult students as directed by the Education Program Supervisor;
• Maintain student attendance records in Altru database and prepare Altru reports;
• Organize classrooms for adult classes: set-up/take down/move furniture and supplies;
• Print and assemble training materials and student attendance lists for each class;
• Create class handouts and signage and other materials as directed;
• Monitor “email@example.com” email address and respond to student inquiries and cancelations;
• Coordinate with Visitor Services to add/remove students from class roster;
• Manage Certificate Program graduation events, lectures, and meetings including invitations, guest lists, décor, food and beverage, and hospitality volunteers;
SCHOOL & FAMILY PROGRAMS
• Maintain school information in Altru, including payment, attendance, and data needed by Development and Visitor Services;
• Update documents and administer field trip calendar on www.filoli.org/field-trips;
• Coordinate with Accounting to generate invoices for schools, and pay invoices for bus support program;
• Promote field trips to schools via email, web, and in-person meetings and represent Filoli at off-site teacher events;
• Coordinate with the Volunteer Coordinator to schedule House & Garden and Nature in the Garden field trip volunteers;
• Greet classes attending House & Garden and Nature in the Garden tours, provide coverage if volunteers are not available;
• Train as a Nature Education Docent and provide coverage when Nature Education Coordinator is not available;
• Coordinate weekend family programming including craft projects, demonstrations, garden walks, partner organizations, and self-guided materials;
• Monitor “firstname.lastname@example.org” email address and respond to inquiries;
• Assist in preparation and support execution of art exhibits: artist lists, signage, artwork labels, sales spreadsheet;
• Work with volunteers, facilities staff, and horticulture staff to coordinate indoor and outdoor exhibit installations;
• Coordinate with Retail and Visitor Services departments to plan summer Art Festival.
• Provide general office support including assistance with ordering/re-stocking/ensuring adequate supplies, communications and correspondence, and office filing;
• Work at Filoli events (i.e. Holidays, festivals, weekend and evening programming);
• Maintain flexibility and perform other duties as assigned to respond to the needs of the organization;
• Attendance and punctuality are essential to work and all work-related functions.
This position will supervise volunteers occasionally.
An individual must be able to perform each essential duty listed above and any additional responsibilities as directed as well as satisfy the educational and skill requirements listed below:
Education and/or Experience
Education: High school diploma or equivalent GED
Experience: Five (5) years of experience in an office setting including general office/administrative/program support experience and/or meeting/event planning experience and required database experience – queries, entry, reporting (standard and customized).
Skills and Abilities
• Ability to plan and organize various events including graduation, lectures, and meetings with minimal supervision;
• Successfully and efficiently set-up, take down, move and reorganize classrooms, equipment, and supplies to multiple locations throughout the property. This can include lifting and carrying items up to 30 pounds.
• Communicate (listening and speaking) effectively with class participants, instructors, staff and volunteers on the phone and in person, as well as respond to emergency broadcasts;
• Above-average proficiency with Altru database;
• Experience with WordPress or similar website content management system;
• Have working knowledge of and can use MS office programs 60% of time with keyboard and mouse; Excel, PowerPoint, Word and Outlook, and familiarity with Adobe Professional products: Adobe Acrobat Professional, InDesign, Photoshop;
• Demonstrate excellent written and verbal communication skills;
• Ability to multi-task and demonstrate strong time-management, organization, details, accuracy and follow-through skills;
• Work independently, while maintaining a positive team player attitude;
• Read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions and procedural manuals.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Current driver’s license and automobile insurance for personally owned car used in the course of business.
The physical requirements described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job including:
• Lift/carry items up to 30 pounds;
• Stand, walk across uneven terrain, climb stairs, reach, lift, carry and bend repeatedly and often to set up multiple class rooms (tables, chairs, AV screens, supplies, etc.) as well as sit for long periods of time at a computer.
HOW TO APPLY
1. Candidates with the above prerequisites are invited to submit their resumes along with a cover letter outlining their related experience and background to: email@example.com
2. The email subject line must say: Education Program Assistant
3. Please – no phone calls.
Please visit our website for more information: www.filoli.org
Filoli is an equal opportunity employer who values diversity in the workplace.