The Plant Records Coordinator is responsible for maintaining the inventory of the living plant collections of The Arboretum, which includes mapping, accessioning, working with the taxonomy of the plants as well as overseeing the plant records database. The Plant Records Coordinator is also responsible for making and installing display labels and maps, assisting staff with reports and analysis of the living collections.
• Maintain accurate plant records in the database by entering new accessions, de-accessions, notes, images, sources and other data updates.
• Create all necessary labels for plants in the collection and install labels.
• Research and verify plant names.
• Perform plant inventories.
• Update mapping by surveying new plants, beds and infrastructure with GPS equipment.
• Maintain and update GIS.
• Associate’s degree in Plant Science, Horticulture, Environmental Studies, Botany, Taxonomy or related field, or an acceptable combination of education, training and experience. Bachelor’s degree preferred.
• Familiarity with botanical nomenclature, plant records, mapping software and horticulture practices.
• Strong organizational skills with the ability to maintain accurate and detailed records.
• Excellent communication skills (verbal, written and interpersonal).
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office, plant records databases and/or GIS.
• Demonstrated ability to develop, manage and coordinate multiple activities and projects.
• Ability to work outside in any type of weather conditions as well as weekends and evenings as needed.
E-mail your cover letter and resume to email@example.com with the subject line: Plant Records Coordinator. This position will close on Monday, November 5, 2018.