Grounds Maintenance Coordinator
HOURS: 40 hours per week
SCHEDULE: Primarily during regular business hours. However, must be available to work a flexible schedule - seven days/week, including some evenings and weekends.
ELIGIBLE FOR FULL-TIME BENEFITS: Paid time off, medical, dental, life, vision and short-term disability, 403(b) plan, Garden membership and discounts
RATE OF PAY: $13.50 - $14.50 per hour, depending upon experience
The proper maintenance of the turf and lawn areas at Daniel Stowe Botanical Garden ("DSBG") is an important part of our guests’ experience. DSBG is known as one of the top Gardens in the country and is recognized for excellence in horticulture displays. The efforts of the grounds crew performing daily maintenance; cutting, trimming and fertilizing of the lawn areas shall aid in providing the maximum quality guest experience.
• Performs weekly maintenance of public areas including mowing, edging, weed eating, blowing walks, leaf and litter removal and post-event cleanup as necessary
• Maintains and performs seasonal care to lawns and turf to our above average standards [mowing, trimming, fertilizing, pest & disease monitoring and treating]
• Schedule and coordinate chemical (pre/post emergent herbicide) application for turf, lawn, and horticultural display beds with Director of Horticulture
• Repairs and reseeds damaged lawns
• Maintains assigned areas to be relatively weed free
• Maintains formal hedges via pruning, shearing, fertilizing, and pest/disease treatment
• Performs daily and scheduled maintenance on department equipment
• Maintains equipment service and repair records
• Performs seasonal operational maintenance and repair of the irrigation system including the operation and maintenance of all automatic underground irrigation systems by way of scouting and performing basic repairs
• Ensures that general maintenance (lawn, turf, hedging, irrigation) have limited impact on the guest experience
• Assists horticulture staff as needed with large horticulture projects including installations and mulching
• Assists in maintaining all public garden areas to be safe, tidy and a daily representation of the highest level of horticultural display and maintenance standards
• Promotes safety and compliance of policies and procedures
• Supports institutional events and programs including the installation and maintenance of seasonal displays especially Holidays at the Garden
• Supports Facilities Department in ongoing facility maintenance, particularly including fountain maintenance; event setups and break-downs, Garden opening and closing; and major building cleaning
• Supports Director of Horticulture and staff in achieving departmental and overall institutional goals.
A. Job title of supervisor to whom incumbent(s) typically report: Director of Horticulture
B. Job titles of those who report directly to this position: Volunteers and Interns
As an employee representing Daniel Stowe Botanical Garden, the individual selected for this position will be expected to make a commitment to providing the highest quality of customer service to the Garden’s internal and external customers in every interaction.
Internal Customers: Management Team, Horticulture & Facilities Department, Education Department, Guest Services, Public Events and any staff working to advance public horticulture knowledge.
External Customers: Guests, Donors, Volunteers, vendors, and other organizations.
Minimum: Associates Degree in Horticulture/Related field or equivalent combination of education and related experience
Ideal: 4 year Degree in Horticulture/Related field
Minimum: 1-2 years lawn/turf/irrigation service or horticulture related experience at the highest level of standards – golf course, public/private gardens beyond general commercial & residential clients.
Ideal: 2+ years Public Gardens experience & knowledge of lawn/turf/irrigation care & maintenance. Fountain & water feature maintenance
• Must be at least 18 years of age.
• Must have valid driver’s license and clean driving record.
• Ability to work in a fast-paced, change oriented environment.
• Good communication skills.
• Good knowledge of lawn equipment operations and repairs.
• Willingness to learn and excel.
• Ability to perform manual labor [lifting, bending, etc.].
• Enthusiastic and energetic, ability to quickly navigate all areas of the Garden.
• Ability to work in a team yet also independently.
• Ability to lift up to 50 pounds.
• Ability to work a flexible schedule, including some weekends and occasional evenings.
• Willingness to wear a uniform and work outside.
• Must be willing to serve all of our guests equally regardless of their race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, marital status, disability, veteran status, genetic information, gender identity and/or sexual orientation.
C - Constant
F - Frequent
O - Occasional
I - Infrequent
NR - Not Required
Climbing/Balancing - O
Lifting/Carrying - F
Crawling/Kneeling - O
Walking - F
Reaching - O
Running - I
Pushing/Pulling - F
Standing - F
Fingering/Typing - I
Sitting - F/O
Bending/Stooping - F
Ability to lift 50 +lbs - F
Job Posting: http://dsbg.applicantstack.com/x/detail/a24xlix40vxp
No telephone calls, please.
Top candidates will be contacted.
Position is open until filled.
Daniel Stowe Botanical Garden is an equal opportunity employer and participates in E-Verify®