The Arnold Arboretum of Harvard University is seeking applicants for a temporary Plant Production Aide at the Dana Greenhouses. The successful candidate will work alongside the Plant Production team responsible for propagating and growing plant material destined for the Arboretum’s permanent tree and shrub collections.
This is a 40-hour/week, non-benefits eligible, temporary position (not to exceed 90 days). Normal work hours are 7:30AM-4:00PM. Individual will be required to work occasional weekends and holidays.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
Assist Plant Production staff members with various tasks including:
• Watering and fertilizing
• Transplanting seedlings
• Repotting containerized plants
• Executing IPM practices
• Weed management
• Leaf clean-up and snow removal
• Greenhouse cleaning and pot washing
• Monitoring greenhouse environments
• Performing data readings and recordings of weather station
• Operating and maintaining various equipment
• Maintaining building and grounds structures
• Carrying out other duties as needed or required
May be Required to:
• Utilize BG-BASE (collections management software) and be able to update and maintain plant records and labels
• Assist and facilitate researchers and professionals in their work and research
• Oversee the greenhouse and nursery operation/complex in the absence of the Manager and Plant Propagator
• Oversee the work of interns
Bachelor’s or Associate’s Degree required. A minimum of one year experience in the field of horticulture or a related field may be substituted for the educational requirement. Must have and maintain a valid driver’s license and acquire a D.O.T. Medical Examiner’s Certificate as part of the pre-hiring process. Must be able to perform manual labor, including frequent lifting/carrying/transporting heavy loads up to 50 lbs. Required to work in all weather conditions in all seasons.
Bachelor’s or Associate’s Degree in arboriculture, horticulture, or related field preferred. Previous greenhouse and/or nursery experience preferred. Must be able to demonstrate performance in the safe and proper operation of the Arboretum’s equipment.
Preference will be given to applicants who submit their materials before December 22, 2017. Posting will be removed on January 1, 2018. To apply, please send a cover letter, resume, and list of three references to:
Tiffany Enzenbacher, Manager of Plant Production
Arnold Arboretum of Harvard University
Jamaica Plain, MA 02130