Public Garden Career Center - View Internship
Posted: Wednesday, July 2, 2014
Salary Information: This is a paid position; credit or internship requirements can be arranged as needed
Work Schedule: 37.5 hours per week, Monday – Friday
Reports to: Director of Horticulture, with daily collaboration with Horticulture staff
Our Horticulture Internship offers students the opportunity to work with Tyler Arboretum’s experienced and knowledgeable Horticulture Staff to assist with daily maintenance and ongoing development of both garden spaces and natural areas. Interns gain practical, hands-on experience caring for horticultural collections and natural areas, planning and leading projects, and managing volunteers.
Duties and Responsibilities:
· Evaluate plant material (herbaceous and woody plants)
· Maintain beds (mulching, weeding, pruning, watering, etc.)
· Assist with mapping and plant records
· Help with grounds maintenance activities
· Minor repair of equipment and tools
· Pest and weed control, including invasive species management
Note: Tyler has the right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
· Capable of rigorous outdoor work including lifting, digging, and sustained walking
· Must be organized, responsible, self-directed with the ability to work independently
· Possess good written and verbal communication skills
· Willingness to work with volunteers
· Horticulture, Plant Science, Forestry, Environmental Studies or other related fields.
The intern will be provided with all tools necessary to complete job requirements. The majority of the position duties and daily activities will be completed outdoors.
· Participate in Tyler’s public program offerings (i.e., wildflower walks, bird walks, butterfly walks, history walks)
· Attend field trips to regional gardens, arboreta, nurseries and/or project sites
· Learn about public garden management from educational sessions with Tyler staff
· Network with professionals
· Intern must commit to a full season of work
Application Deadline: Rolling
Please e-mail cover letter and résumé to Mike Karkowski, Director of Horticulture, firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.