Public Garden Career Center - View Internship
Student Internship/Seasonal Gardener
Philbrook Museum of Art
Posted: Friday, June 13, 2014
Expand education and horticultural knowledge in a working public garden. Responsible for assisting Garden Staff with the daily maintenance of the gardens as assigned by the Garden Manager.
30% - Annual and Perennial Garden Maintenance: Maintain seasonal flower displays, perennials, and containers. Perform greenhouse production duties as assigned.
30% - Lawn, Tree, and Shrub Maintenance: Perform pruning, fertilizing, disease and pest control, mowing, trimming, and other tasks as assigned.
10% - Paved Area Maintenance: Clean and remove debris (to include snow and ice) from parking lots, walkways, and other paved areas.
10% - Leaf Removal: Remove leaves due to fall leaf drop and as needed.
10% - Garden Equipment and Systems Maintenance: Maintain and repair tools and equipment, as necessary, and understand the function of all water systems and irrigation systems.
10% - Public Relations/Security: Greet, interact with, and provide information to visitors. Maintain the security and integrity of the grounds and museum. Abide by garden safety policies and procedures.
Perform related responsibilities as required or assigned.
• Student Interns: knowledge of horticulture science and techniques including: arboriculture, ornamentals, propagation, landscape management, turf care, disease and pest management, and basic small engine operation and maintenance desired. Learning is expected and is the purpose of an internship.
• Seasonal Gardener: basic knowledge and documented skill in turf care, arboriculture, ornamental plant maintenance and basic small engine operation and maintenance required.
• Student Interns: must be enrolled in or have recently graduated from a college or similar institution, studying horticulture or a related field
• Seasonal Gardener: minimum of one year of garden maintenance experience
• Valid Oklahoma Driver’s License
SPECIAL JOB DIMENSIONS:
Work is very strenuous, requiring standing and walking at least 95% of the time, with kneeling, crouching, turning/twisting and reaching required for the majority of job activities. Must be able to routinely lift and/or carry up to 50 pounds.
Majority of work is performed outdoors where worker is subject to climate changes and inclement weather. At times, worker will be exposed to potential hazards associated with use of mechanical tools, chemicals and pesticides common to gardening, landscaping, and lawn care.
Mental and Emotional
Must be able to perform job functions with supervision as well as able to work independently. Must be able to read, understand, and carry out various written instructions, follow oral instructions and prepare reports and records. Must be able to use power hand tools; operate and repair standard gardening tools. Must be capable of performing basic arithmetic calculations and using measuring devices. Must be able to perform responsibilities under pressure for accuracy, deadlines, and changing priorities as well as perform multiple, simultaneous tasks. Must be capable of regular and reliable attendance. Must be capable of demonstrating customer service and discretion when dealing with the public. Must be able to work extended hours when requested by management. Must be capable of regular and reliable attendance.
Interest parties should send cover letter, resume, and references to email@example.com.