Public Garden Career Center - View Job
2014 Seasonal Horticulturist
High Glen Gardens
Posted: Friday, June 13, 2014
High Glen Gardens is a private, 64-acre, newly-developed estate in Frederick, MD with approximately 10 cultivated acres of formal gardens, including a perennial border, rose garden, annual beds, wetland area, greenhouse, Japanese garden, Mediterranean garden, vegetable garden, cutting gardens, English cottage garden, hawthorn orchard, and extensive perimeter plantings. 2014 will mark an exciting new era at High Glen Gardens as we begin the implementation of a new master plan to take the garden public.
Peter Couchman, Executive Director, oversees the gardens and manages the staff of full-time and seasonal horticulturists.
We are seeking an experienced, highly qualified seasonal horticulturist. The position is available immediately and will run through late November depending on weather and available work.
This is a full-time seasonal, hourly position that requires 40+ hours per week with occasional additional weekend work and overtime. Seasonal Gardener Job Description 2014 v.2 2 6/10/2014
Duties and Responsibilities
• planting, maintenance, irrigation and fertilization of garden beds and containers in assigned garden areas
• ongoing care of annuals, perennials, trees, shrubs, vines and tropicals using best practices
• field turf mowing (approx. 2 days per week)
• weed control
• formal hedge maintenance
• vegetable gardening
• garden renovation and bed amendment
• greenhouse maintenance and limited propagation
• IPM with limited chemical pesticide application in accordance with all federal and state laws, regulations and safety policies
• plant display labeling
• proper utilization of basic landscape tools
• operation of small machinery and vehicles (golf cart, Bobcat, mowers, chipper, tractor, cultivator, tiller, 1-ton truck, etc.)
• irrigation repair and maintenance
• recordkeeping (including horticultural notes and pesticide applications) and database updates using BG-Base and BG-Map software
• limited public interaction, including garden tours and workshops
• installation of seasonal decorations (fall displays, holiday lights and displays, etc.)
• snow removal and de-icing during winter months; storm clean-up as necessary
• occasional special event support
• other related work as needed, such as furniture and equipment maintenance, painting, etc.
• valid driver’s license with clean driving record
• ability to lift 50 lbs. and to perform strenuous physical tasks in all weather and temperature conditions
• horticulture or related degree from an accredited college or horticulture program OR significant horticulture experience including proper techniques, plant ID, IPM and general maintenance
• experience with mowing and light equipment maintenance
• ability to follow directions and work independently, as well as work as part of a team
• highly motivated and active self-starter
• ability to work occasional weekends and weeknights as needed, including greenhouse maintenance, snow removal and special event support
• flexibility to work in an ever-changing environment with demonstrated ability to prioritize and juggle competing tasks and demands
• proficiency in MS Office (Outlook, Word, Excel)
• excellent verbal and written communication skills
• High Glen Gardens is a drug-free and smoke-free workplace. Candidates who are offered employment are required to submit to a drug screening at the start of employment. Satisfactory completion is a condition of continued employment.
• possession of valid pesticide applicator’s license
• experience with BG-Base and BG-Map software
• experience with construction practices and irrigation
• skill in garden and floral design
• ability to speak Spanish
Please send a cover letter, resume and references to:
Angela Weber Hetrick, Lead Horticulturist
Visit us at www.facebook.com/highglengardens for more information.
UNFORTUNATELY, OVERSEAS APPLICANTS WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED UNLESS THEY ARE ALREADY RELOCATING TO THE AREA AND ARE AUTHORIZED TO WORK IN THE U.S.