Public Garden Career Center - View Internship
Franklin Park Conservatory and Botanical Gardens Horticulture
Franklin Park Conservatory and Botanical Gardens
Posted: Friday, June 13, 2014
Columbus Commons Intern
Franklin Park Conservatory and Botanical Gardens is seeking individuals interested getting practical, hands on experience working in an urban garden setting. The Columbus Commons intern will have the unique opportunity to work directly with horticulture staff to maintain the gardens at Columbus Commons, a 9-acre green space in the center of downtown Columbus. Columbus Commons features twelve, 2000 sq. ft. gardens, designed and maintained by Franklin Park Conservatory and Botanical Gardens. The gardens consist of a blend of design styles and are a dynamic mix of perennials, shrubs, ornamental grasses, bulbs, and annuals, providing changing colors and patterns for every month of the year. This is an unpaid internship.
The intern will be required to work along side the horticulture staff and other volunteers as well as independently on projects including but not limited to:
• Planting seasonal annuals and hardy plants perennials and shrubs
• Maintaining garden beds by watering, weeding, pruning, deadheading, dividing plants
• Integrated Pest Management (IPM) practices – including, monitoring for pests and plant diseases.
• Assisting with large scale projects
• Working towards a degree in horticulture, landscape design, or related field, or a recent graduate.
• Ability to walk up to 5 miles/day, and lift up to 20 pounds
• Bending, kneeling, squatting
• Ability to work in a fast paced environment and remain on task
• Ability to work in varying weather conditions, including rain and extreme heat
Knowledge and Experience Preferred
• Plant identification knowledge, including hardy perennials, trees, shrubs, annuals, and tropical plants.
• Strong attention to detail
• Excellent communication skills
• Competency of Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
• This unpaid internship is available April-October.
• Flexible schedule, Monday-Friday, based on availability of intern candidate (At least 10 hours/week)
Please email your resume and cover letter to Tracey Barnes, Volunteer Coordinator, at Tbarnes@fpconservatory.org