Public Garden Career Center - View Job
Taltree Arboretum & Gardens
Posted: Friday, June 6, 2014
Reports to: Lead Horticulturist
Function: Perform a wide variety of horticultural duties involved in the high quality maintenance of the plant collections at Taltree Arboretum & Gardens
Schedule: Full Time Temporary (April 1 – October 31, 2014)
The Full-Time Temporary Horticulturist’s primary functions include the following (other duties may be assigned as needed):
- Assist in maintaining Taltree’s large plant collections: Conifers, Oaks, Roses, and native plants
- Prune rose, shrub, and tree species, to shape and improve growth or remove damage
- Maintain formal garden beds by: watering, mulching, deadheading and removing debris, litter, weeds, etc.
- Plant grasses, flowers, trees, and shrubs
- Interact with guests of Taltree and their children, answering questions with a smile
- Assist in updating plant collections through our Botanical Garden Database software
- Adhere to all safety regulations while using all tools and equipment
- Operate company vehicles safely
Assist in supervising volunteers during volunteering events
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following abilities:
- Oral Communications – Listen to and on occasion give directions, respond well to questions
- Written Communications – Ability to read and interpret written information
- Planning/Organizing – Ability to prioritize, take notes, and use time efficiently
- Quality – Monitor their own as well as other’s work to ensure quality
- Quantity – Meet productivity standards; complete work in a safe/timely manner; strives to increase workplace efficiency
- Safety and Security – Observe safety and security procedures and participate in drills
- Attendance/Punctuality – Consistently arrive on time, ready to work
- Flexibility – Ability to adapt on the fly to changing weather conditions and organizational needs
Education and Experience:
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED); or one to three months related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Maintain a valid state issued drivers license
- Ability to read and comprehend detailed instructions
Cognitive and Reasoning Ability:
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry our detailed written or oral instructions
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands and fingers; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; talk, hear, taste, and smell. The employee is frequently required to stand and walk and occasionally required to sit, climb, or balance. The employee must regularly list and/or move up to 15 pounds, frequently lift and/or move 25 pounds, and rarely lift and/or move 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential job functions. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of the job, the employee is regularly exposed to wet and/or humid conditions. The employee is frequently exposed to outside weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Taltree is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate against race, gender, sexual orientation, religious preference, disability, and will make reasonable accommodations to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.