Public Garden Career Center - View Job
The Barnes Foundation
Posted: Friday, June 6, 2014
The Barnes Foundation
Description: The Barnes Foundation is seeking a Full-time, temporary Seasonal Gardener for the Merion location. It is anticipated that this position will be 14 weeks in duration.
Established as an educational institution the Barnes Foundation carries out its mission by promoting appreciation of the arts and horticultural science, through the preservation, presentation, and interpretation of the collections of Albert C. and Laura L. Barnes.
Celebrated for its exceptional breadth, depth, and quality, the Barnes Foundation's art collection includes works by some of the greatest European and American masters of impressionism, post-impressionist, and early modern art, as well as African sculpture, Pennsylvania German decorative arts, Native American textiles, metalwork, and more. The 12-acre Arboretum contains over 3,000 species of woody plants and trees.
The Foundation engages diverse audiences through its exceptional collections and related high-quality programs that reflect a broad range of periods and cultures and build on the founders’ innovative educational vision of transforming lives through the arts and horticulture.
- Demonstrates reliable attendance.
- Follows instructions given by gardener in charge of that section while working.
- Works in a safe manor adhering to all safety precautions and procedures.
- Listens, learns, and asks questions about techniques, plant material, and the history of the Living Collection.
- Demonstrates an ability to trouble shoot and come up with multiple solutions and/or ideas when any issue arises before bringing the issue to the Head Gardener’s attention.
- Manages time efficiently when doing assigned tasks. Demonstrates an understanding of correct horticultural practices and all aspects of routine garden maintenance, including but not limited to: planting, weed identification and control, cultural requirements of herbaceous plants and plant identification knowledge.
- Performs other duties as requested.
- High School Graduate
- Minimum one season’s worth of experience in ornamental horticulture, particularly in preparing and maintaining flower/perennial beds at a public/private garden or estate, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
To Apply: Please apply online
Please include your cover letter, resume and a list of three professional references to upload with your application. Applications that fail to fulfill this requirement will not be accepted.
The Barnes Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer and a Drug Free Workplace.
We participate in E-Verify.