Public Garden Career Center - View Job
Gardens Records Coordinator
Posted: Friday, June 6, 2014
Gardens Records Coordinator
Status: Full-time, non-exempt
Reports to: Director of Horticulture and Garden Operations
Descanso Gardens seeks a Gardens Records Coordinator responsible for monitoring, inventorying, and mapping plants and physical objects located throughout Descanso Garden’s plant collections and natural areas. The Garden Records Coordinator will be responsible for inventorying plant species from many different families, with a special emphasis on Camellia species, Rosa species, and California native plants. The Coordinator will work across departments ensuring information and data related to Descanso’s collections and natural areas are available and accessible as required. The Coordinator will be responsible for the management of records in IrisBG, Autocad, ArcGIS, and historical maps and files. This position works closely with volunteers who support data collection, data input, labeling and photographing collections and natural areas. Additionally, the Coordinator interacts regularly with staff, Guild members, volunteers, interns, and garden visitors.
This is a 40 hour a week, full-time, non-exempt position and may include some evening and/or weekend hours, depending on the needs of the organization.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES include but are not limited to:
- Inventory, monitor and map Descanso’s collections and natural areas.
- Manage collections data, including accessioning new plants, removing accessions, updating names and status of plants.
- Organize historical garden records, maps and files.
- Inventory, tags and labels collections and natural areas as needed.
- Photograph collections and natural areas.
- Collaborate with departments to make information, photos and data about Descanso gardens plant collections, flora and fauna and natural areas are available to staff as requested.
- Supervise and oversee the plants records volunteer program and interns.
- Inventory all trees over 8 inches in diameter. Monitor tree health, coordinate tree removals and dead wooding, by Descanso staff, county and contracted arborists.
- Keep abreast of new disease, invasive species, and insects threats in southern California. Monitor for potential threats to garden collections, and natural area. Make suggestions for control of pests and threats.
- Under the direction of the Director of Horticulture and Garden Operations and in collaboration with the horticulturists, coordinate purchasing of plant and horticultural materials, track spending and process payments per established procedures.
- Coordinates with the Plant Propagation Horticulturist on inventorying and accessioning in the nursery.
- Provide plant lists for plants to be propagated for collections.
- Coordinate and collaborate with the Garden Operations department to inventory physical objects located in the plant collections and natural areas such as structures, donor benches, irrigation mains and valves.
- Updates Director of Horticulture and Garden Operations on plant collections, provides suggestions for acquisitions and removals of plant material.
- Participates in public programs by teaching classes, leading walks, etc., for the public, Descanso staff or volunteers.
- Provides content for printed and online formats as requested.
- Produces reports on collections and natural areas.
- Other job duties as assigned.
EQUIPMENT USED and PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
This position requires use of standard office equipment including computer, photocopier, postage meter, ten key, credit card processing machine, and printer; uses hand-held (two-way) radio and drives golf cart.
This position requires:
- Ability to walk long distances to various outdoor locations and to work outdoors as needed.
- Work outdoors in inclement weather, including cold, rain and heat, as well as nighttime conditions.
- The ability to walk, kneel, bend, stoop, sit, crouch, drive vehicles, and carry and climb ladders.
- The employee must be able to carry and operate standard gardening equipment intermittently throughout the day.
- Occasional wading in and working with water.
- Occasionally requires lifting of up to 40 pounds.
- Exposure to various noise levels on a daily basis.
QUALIFICATIONS and REQUIREMENTS:
- BA/BS required, major in Botany, Horticulture, Biology or Ecology or similar fields, preferred. Master’s degree preferred.
- 2 years’ experience in plant collections management, inventory and monitoring, or field research.
- At minimum, strong plant identifications skills, and the ability to learn new taxa rapidly, a working knowledge of the cultivated and wild flora of Southern California preferred.
- Strong verbal, written and public speaking skills.
- Ability to speak and write in a scientific format.
- Understanding and experience with mapping programs such as AutoCAD and ArcGIS is highly preferred.
- Competence in MS Office and internet required; advanced experience with MS Office applications preferred.
- CA driver’s license required.
- Compensation: $14-$16/hr depending on experience
To apply: Interested parties may apply by submitting a letter of interest and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with GRC0614 in the subject line. Only those meeting the minimum requirements and submitting all required information may be contacted for further inquiry. We will accept resumes until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Descanso Gardens Guild Inc. acknowledges that equal opportunity for all persons is a fundamental human value. Each employee will be considered on the basis of individual ability and merit, without regard to race, color, age, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, sex, or marital status.