Public Garden Career Center - View Job
Seasonal Worker: Housekeeping / Event Maintenance
Category: Visitor Services
Posted: Wednesday, June 4, 2014
The Holden Arboretum has a position available for a housekeeping seasonal beginning now through at least part of October 2014 working 30-40 hours per week. Schedule is somewhat flexible but will include Saturday and early evening hours during the week days that are worked. Will be responsible for cleaning and maintaining Holden’s buildings to ensure members and guests have a visibly appealing experience and occasionally assisting our Facilities Department staff in various responsibilities.
- Perform common household tasks to maintain a clean work place in the various buildings on Holden’s main campus (restrooms, lunchroom, conference rooms, hallways, etc). This includes sweeping, vacuuming and washing floors, dusting, cleaning walls and windows and disposing of trash.
- Ensure and assess cleanliness and hygiene in all buildings including restrooms.
- Communicate to notify others of problems to order cleaning products and make requests of others.
- Continuous monitoring of the cleanliness of facilities and other equipment.
- Perform minor building repairs (light painting, blind repair, etc).
- Detect current and potential problems and notify supervisor.
- Occasionally assist Facilities Department staff in various outside activities including tent set-up.
Applicants must have:
- Knowledge of cleaning methods, equipment and chemicals.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently unsupervised.
- Work outdoors occasionally in all types of weather conditions.
- Hand and arm dexterity for cleaning floors, fixtures and various other items with brooms, vacuum cleaners, mops and pails, etc.
- When using personal protective equipment, the worker is not sensitive to or has allergic reactions to working with cleaning agents that contain chemicals.
- Walking to and working in various building on arboretum grounds in which there are floors and offices on different levels that may require ascending and descending stairs.
- Lifting and carrying up to 60 lbs. to empty trash containers, move tables and chairs, and carry pails of water and other equipment.
- Valid driver’s license with less than 3 points
- Kneeling, bending, stooping, grabbing, and reaching for regular and general duties.
- Experience with cleaning in a public setting is preferred.
Review of applications with begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Qualified applicants should submit a resumé online to: