Public Garden Career Center - View Job
Seasonal Worker: Horticulture Gardeners
Posted: Wednesday, June 4, 2014
The Holden Arboretum is recruiting people to perform hands-on work in our gardens. We will begin staffing these positions for a period of five-(5) to seven-(7) months (Aprils depending on the growing season and project needs. Positions are full time. Monday – Friday 7:00 am- 3:30 pm
Responsibilities include but are not limited to planting and maintaining a variety of woody and herbaceous plants, pruning, deadheading, weeding, apply mulch and soil amendments, transplanting, dividing perennials, watering, fertilizing, hauling brush, mowing, raking, pest control, installing and removing deer fencing, the use of deer repellent and herbicides, operation and routine maintenance of power equipment and the use of herbicides to control invasive plants.
- Work outdoors in all types of weather conditions.
- Work in and around poison ivy and poison sumac, water, mud, brush and stinging insects.
Requirements of the position include:
- Experienced gardeners preferred.
- Experience in the operation of stick shift vehicles and other machinery (Cushman, tractor, chippers, mowers, weed eaters, sprayers, pick up trucks, etc.) a plus.
- Use of hand pruners, loppers, hand saws and backpack sprayers
- Able to work independently and within small work teams
- Good interpersonal skills
- Attention to detail
- Valid driver’s license with less than 4 points
- Self Motivated
- Stand, bend, kneel, climb, reach, pull, push, sit, grab, and lift and carry (up to 50 lbs.)
- Speak, write and understand English
Review of applications with begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Qualified applicants should submit a resumé online to: https://home.eease.adp.com/recruit/?id=8187331