Public Garden Career Center - View Job
Seasonal Worker: Conservation Workers
Posted: Wednesday, June 4, 2014
The Holden Arboretum is recruiting for seasonal workers to assist in its efforts to manage invasive plants within The Holden Arboretum’s 3,000 acre natural areas. The season typically runs from April to October, but shorter work periods may be arranged. Positions are full time Monday – Friday.
In addition to plant control (application of herbicides and deer repellent), responsibilities include but are not limited to:
Collecting detailed information on plant populations and site conditions; electronic mapping using GPS and GIS technology; data entry and recordkeeping; equipment maintenance; use of hand pruners, loppers, hand saws, backpack sprayers and other application equipment trail maintenance; and other projects as needed.
- Work outdoors in all types of weather conditions.
- Work in and around poison ivy and poison sumac, shallow water, mud, brush and stinging insects.
Requirements of the position include:
- Good Interpersonal skills.
- Able to work independently or within small work teams with minimal supervision.
- Attention to detail.
- Safe operation and routine maintenance of mowing equipment and power brush-cutters.
- Valid driver’s license with acceptable driving record – less than 4 points.
- Ability to understand basic instructions using the English language.
- Occasionally lifting and carrying of up to 50 lbs.
Review of applications with begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Qualified applicants should submit a resumé online to: https://home.eease.adp.com/recruit/?id=8176291