Public Garden Career Center - View Job
Harvest Garden Coordinator
Los Angeles, California
Posted: Monday, June 2, 2014
Harvest Garden Coordinator
Status: Non-exempt, part-time
Reports to: Education Programs Manager
Descanso Gardens seeks a Harvest Garden Coordinator responsible for coordinating activities related to the Harvest Garden program and the summer camp program. This position is highly visible working directly with schools, visitors, and volunteers of Descanso Gardens (DG) in addition to working with internal and contracted team members.
This is a part-time non-exempt position and may include some evening or weekend hours, depending on the needs of the organization. The regular schedule is 20 hours/week while the Harvest Garden program is in session, approximately mid- August through the beginning of June. The Harvest Garden Coordinator will also be scheduled to work during summer camp currently four weeks during the months of June and July. The weekly schedule will be determined by the manager and as required by the needs of the organization.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES include but are not limited to:
- Coordinates and is the instructor of the programs offered in the Harvest Garden including the Harvest Garden school program and summer camp program.
- Plans Harvest Garden curriculum that addresses the needs of students with special needs in consultation with the Education Programs Manager
- Orients participating teachers, aides, and parents to the goals and activities of the Harvest Garden Program, serves as liaison with participating schools. Trains and orients Harvest Garden volunteers.
- Keeps records of program attendance and assists with program evaluation.
- Supports program outreach and grant writing efforts.
- Coordinates volunteer Harvest Garden activities and communications.
- Responsible for inventory, ordering, and maintenance of tools, equipment, and supplies used within the Harvest
- Garden program and, as required for Summer Camp. Coordinates maintenance of the Harvest Garden facilities.
- Plans and implements Summer Camp program as required.
- Other duties as assigned.
EQUIPMENT USED AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS
Computer, phone, fax machine, calculator, copier, printer, hand-held (two-way) radio, sound system, projectors, golf cart.
This position requires flexibility to work in an office and an active outdoor environment which includes public interaction, some noise and various other distractions throughout the Gardens. Must be able to walk long distances and on occasion access various areas of the Gardens including areas not accessible by paved roads or dirt trails. Some lifting up to 20 pounds required, but not routinely. It also requires the ability to walk, kneel, bend, stoop, sit, crouch, drive (an electric cart), and climb step ladders.
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS:
- BA/BS required
- 2 years classroom teaching, or equivalent experience required
- This position requires basic to advanced level of gardening knowledge including planting, harvesting, and preparing fruits and vegetables.
- Experience working with special needs students desirable
- Ability to respond flexibly and well in a dynamic work environment
- Other critical attributes include a high degree of warmth, strong interpersonal communication skills and a well- developed sense of humor. It is essential that the candidate have the flexibility and philosophical orientation to function effectively with staff, team members, students, teachers, parents and volunteers.
- Good working knowledge of computers and familiarity with general office equipment; Computer skills required – MS Office.
- A valid CA Driver’s License is required.
Anticipated start date: mid-August
To apply: Interested parties may apply by submitting a letter of interest, resume and salary history to email@example.com with HGC0514 in the subject line. Only those applicants meeting the minimum requirements and submitting all required information may be contacted for further inquiry. We will accept resumes until the position is filled.
No phone calls, please.
Descanso Gardens Guild Inc. acknowledges that equal opportunity for all persons is a fundamental human value. Each employee will be considered on the basis of individual ability and merit, without regard to race, color, age, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, sex, or marital status.