Public Garden Career Center - View Job
Special Events Coordinator
Category: Visitor Services
Los Angeles, California
Posted: Monday, June 2, 2014
Special Events Coordinator
Status: Full-time, non-exempt
Reports to: Special Events Manager
Descanso Gardens seeks an energetic and qualified candidate to coordinate all efforts of the Special Events Office including but not limited to renting venues for weddings, general rentals, filming, photography, special events and assisting with internal meetings and events. This highly visible position works directly with clients, guests, members, trustees, staff and external partners and vendors of Descanso Gardens (DG). While promoting DG’s mission and membership sales, the Coordinator is charged with generating new business and sales from past, existing and new clients. Responsibilities also include providing a high level of guest services by coordinating parties, wedding ceremonies and receptions, memorials, meetings, conferences and conventions and assisting with rental of tables, equipment, linen, etc.; coordinating and delegating responsibilities to internal and external partners and vendors; and, addressing customer comments and rectifying problem situations.
This is a 40 hour a week, full-time, non-exempt position and may be scheduled to work evening and/or weekend hours, depending on the needs of the organization.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES include but are not limited to:
- Responds to all inquiries regarding rental or use of Descanso’s facilities: provides information on availability, fees, and guidelines.
- Oversees all wedding, filming, general rental and special events from client inquiry through post-event follow-up including, but not limited to, client meetings and venue tours, contract preparation, event information distribution, payment processing, client mailings.
- Assists clients with event details to ensure successful completion of event; reviews DG event guidelines, payments and refunds, timeline, collaborates with client personnel, equipment rentals and design set-up.
- Manages master calendar to reflect reservations. Ensures internal calendar reflects reservations, meetings, rehearsals, etc.
- Oversees booking for still photography at DG.
- Collaborates with Facilities to ensure successful execution of events including set up and break down.
- Partners and interfaces with equipment rental vendors, catering, internal staff and external partners, as necessary.
- Develops and implements marketing plan to meet or exceed annual rental goals and budget.
- Coordinates “tech scout” meeting
- Maintains a pool of trained external partners to represent DG during weddings, evening events and film shoots. Trains, schedules and oversees external partners hired for weddings, evening events and film shoots. Act as liaison between client and external partners when necessary.
- Address customer concerns regarding events and works to resolve issues.
- Reports recommended improvements to facility and equipment to appropriate departments.
- Maintains accurate filing and posting systems for past, pending and upcoming events.
- Prepares deposits and check requests per the established procedures.
- Reviews monthly reports for accuracy.
EQUIPMENT USED and PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
This position requires use of standard office equipment including computer, photocopier, postage meter, ten key, credit card processing machine, and printer; uses hand-held (two-way) radio and drives golf cart.
This position requires flexibility to work in an office and an active outdoor environment which includes public interaction, some noise and various other distractions throughout the Gardens. Must be able to walk long distances and on occasion access various areas of the Gardens including areas not accessible by paved roads or dirt trails. Some lifting up to 20 pounds required, but not routinely. It also requires the ability to walk, kneel, bend, stoop, sit, crouch, drive (an electric cart), and climb step ladders.
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS:
- AA degree minimum
- Two years customer service and administrative/clerical experience, preferably organizing events in a team environment, required.
- Highly developed organizational skills, ability to conceive and implement events from inception to completion, while working pleasantly, professionally and personably with a variety of people. This position requires a high degree of integrity, honesty and discretion.
- A valid CA driver’s license required.
- The Coordinator must be self-motivated, creative, innovative, and detail oriented.
- The Coordinator must be able to analyze the operational and service needs of an event.
- Must demonstrate sound judgment and decision-making skills.
- Experience performing routine data entry, filing tasks, maintaining accurate financial records and contracts.
- Competence in MS Office and internet required; advanced experience with MS Office applications preferred.
- Other critical attributes include a high degree of warmth, strong interpersonal communication skills and a well-developed sense of humor. It is essential that the candidate have the flexibility and philosophical orientation to function effectively with staff, Trustees, donors, members, volunteers and vendors.
Compensation: $14-$16/hr depending on experience
To apply: Interested parties may apply by submitting a letter of interest and resume to email@example.com with SEO0514 in the subject line. Only those meeting the minimum requirements and submitting all required information may be contacted for further inquiry. We will accept resumes until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Descanso Gardens Guild Inc. acknowledges that equal opportunity for all persons is a fundamental human value. Each employee will be considered on the basis of individual ability and merit, without regard to race, color, age, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, sex, or marital status.