Public Garden Career Center - View Job
Private Estate in Claremont, VA
Posted: Tuesday, May 27, 2014
Private estate in Claremont, Virginia seeks experienced Landscape Manager.
Family-owned property offers year-round employment for skilled, full-time Landscape Manager.
- Supervise daily operation of all grounds maintenance and related activities.
- Plan, direct and supervise work of grounds personnel; train personnel in proper procedures.
- Evaluate grounds personnel.
- Provide property owner and owner’s representatives with effective recommendations on hiring, advancement, demotion, discipline and discharge of grounds personnel.
- Prepare and maintain records related to personnel, working time, work orders, equipment operation and repair, and other matters required by the property owner and owner’s representatives from time to time.
- Organize and direct spraying, mowing, edging, pruning, mulching, blowing; inspect work in progress and upon completion for quality, accuracy and timeliness; assist in completing work as needed.
- Supervise and oversee planting, fertilizing, pruning, spraying and maintaining flowers, shrubs, and trees in landscaped areas; coordinate and participate in pesticide applications.
- Oversee operation of power equipment; verify equipment is in safe and proper operating condition.
- Oversee approved purchasing and inventory of materials, fuel and equipment.
- Oversee delivery of equipment, plants and ground cover materials.
- Oversee greenhouse.
- Meetings with property owner and owner’s representatives as requested to discuss and develop grounds keeping plans.
- Methods, materials, techniques, tools and equipment used in a wide variety of grounds maintenance activities including mowing, edging, trimming, and weed and pest control.
- Planting and care of plants, trees and shrubs.
- Application and maintenance of ground care materials.
- Sprinklers and watering systems.
- Health and safety procedures related to power equipment use and chemical applications.
- Organize, coordinate, assign, inspect, supervise and evaluate activities of work crews including outside contractors.
- Supervise the work of others and recommend work methods.
- Maintain and repair sprinklers and watering systems.
- Explain and enforce safe work practices, methods and procedures.
- Operate and demonstrate the use of equipment and power and hand tools.
- Communicate effectively with others.
- Work is performed while standing, sitting, walking, pushing and pulling.
- Requires the ability to communicate effectively using speech, vision and hearing.
- Requires the ability to lift, carry, push or pull up to 75 pounds.
- Requires activities involving being around moving machinery and exposure to marked changes in temperature and humidity, and other outdoor conditions.
- Bachelor's degree in horticulture or equivalent horticulture experience.
- 10+ years experience in the field of landscaping and maintenance and supervising landscape crews.
- Experience operating landscaping equipment.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Competitive salary.
- Medical and dental insurance plans.
- Retirement savings plan with company match.
- Paid vacation.
HOW TO APPLY:
Submit cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.