Public Garden Career Center - View Job
The Holden Arboretum
Posted: Thursday, January 23, 2014
The Holden Arboretum
The Community Forester conducts outreach to promote and help restore the aesthetic, environmental, and economic values of trees and forests to communities in northeast Ohio, with a special focus on the city of Cleveland, by encouraging scientifically based urban forest management techniques and actions. He/she advocates for the many values of trees in the urban environment and encourages and participates in partnerships among public and private interests that protect, conserve, and nurture tress in their communities.
In addition, the Community Forester helps establish Holden as the regional focal point where municipalities, institutions, organizations, and individuals involved in urban/community forestry matters can come for information, ideas, and activities that will promote improved tree health care and management practices and that enhance the beauty and livability of northeast Ohio communities. He/She reports to the Director of Education and Public Programs.
The Community Forester conducts outreach and on-site activities selected to maximize Holden’s service to the community. The following are examples of potential activities.
Community Outreach and Engagement (70%)
- Advocates awareness of the value of trees in an urban landscape to help restore the aesthetic, environmental, and economic values of trees and forests in the City of Cleveland and surrounding communities.
- Provides communities with technical assistance regarding strategic tree planting for enhanced environmental services, street tree surveys, tree maintenance, and tree ordinances.
- Leads active collaborations with professional organizations and government agencies and take an active role with those most important to Holden.
- Sponsors and/or supports field tours, workshops, seminars, conferences, demonstrations of sustainable forest management projects, media releases, and contacts with municipalities and government officials that support community forests.
- Leads Holden’s Arbor Day activities in northeast Ohio
- Develops informational and educational materials concerning the value, planting, and care of trees in urban settings
Home Owner Outreach and Engagement (20%)
- Leads Holden’s outreach in forest management for small parcel landowners
- Leads the management aspects of Working Woods and provide input to the programmatic development and implementation
- Leads and coordinate input and staffing to the tree information services and answering public’s questions about trees and related subjects
Other activities (10%)
- Participates in developing existing and new garden projects such as the Home Demonstration Garden and the Street Tree Display
- Contributes to interpretive projects, teaching, and writing for the Leaves magazine and website as needed.
- Participates in organizational planning and special event committees as appropriate.
- Maintains positive relationships with appropriate local, state and national professional organizations through participation on boards and communities and, through participation and presentations at professional meetings
Training and Experience:
- Master’s degree in forestry, horticulture, biology, botany, landscape architecture, or closely related field strongly preferred
- 3-5 years experience in urban and community forestry planning and implementation
- Strong verbal and written communication skills along with a proven record of public presentation activities
- Course work in communications and/or media experience
- An outgoing personality energized by public contact
- Ability to assimilate and translate into common language a considerable body of technical information about trees and related subjects, including the latest research findings.
Evening and weekend hours as needed for presentations, programs, and appointments.
Review of applications with begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Qualified applicants should submit a resumé with salary requirements to: https://home.eease.adp.com/recruit/?id=7966581
Posting: January 2014
Close: Until Filled