Public Garden Career Center - View Job
Posted: Tuesday, January 7, 2014
Seasonal Gardener- Full Time (Philadelphia, PA)
Morris Arboretum is a historic public garden and educational institution. It promotes an understanding of the relationship between plants, people and place through programs that integrate science, art and the humanities.
Description: The seasonal gardener reports to the Rose Garden Horticulturist, and is responsible for a broad range of garden maintenance activities for the ongoing care of the woody and herbaceous plant collections and turf areas. The seasonal assists in the management of various specialty gardens including: formal rose garden and rock wall, stumpery, crabapple orchard, herb, cottage, dwarf conifer, sculpture, and wisteria gardens. This is a 40 hour per week full time, seasonal position.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Properly care for roses, perennials, annuals, shrubs, and trees in the rose garden section by pruning, deadheading, and fertilizing
- Identify and properly control weeds
- Demonstrate pruning skills and assist in the ongoing care of the Arboretum's woody plant collection
- Use proper techniques for planting, mulching, edging, and turf care
- Take part in watering plants and containers on a daily basis
- Demonstrate knowledge of proper pesticide use as part of the Arboretum’s IPM program--handling, mixing, applying and clean-up of pesticide equipment
- Safely and effectively operate small machinery and vehicles (golf cart, mowers, string trimmer, turf aerator, blowers, etc.)
- Train, supervise and work with volunteers as necessary or as required
- Demonstrate attention to detail with all garden tasks that enhance the Arboretum’s public image
- Help with snow removal
- Perform additional duties as requested
- A strong academic background in horticulture or closely related field with course work or a very strong interest in herbaceous and woody landscape plants
- Be able and willing to follow directions and work independently, as well as supervise and work as part of a team.
- Be able and willing to communicate with Arboretum visitors
- Be able and willing to work in all weather conditions
- Be able and willing to lift at least 25lbs and perform strenuous physical tasks in all weather and temperature conditions.
- A valid driver's license is required
Date Available: February 2014
How to Apply: Please email a cover letter, resume, and three references to:
Lucy Dinsmore, Rose Garden Horticulturist, Morris Arboretum, 100 E. Northwestern Ave., Philadelphia, PA 19118 or firstname.lastname@example.org