Public Garden Career Center - View Job
Ruth Bancroft Garden, Inc
Walnut Creek, California
Posted: Tuesday, January 7, 2014
Ruth Bancroft Garden, Inc
The Ruth Bancroft Garden, a public garden and a nonprofit 501 (c) (3) organization in Walnut Creek, California is currently interviewing for a Garden Manager position. The Ruth Bancroft Dry Garden is a 3 ½ acre internationally significant collection and unique display of plants from arid regions of the world that Ruth Bancroft originally selected for their ability to thrive in the inland East San Francisco Bay region. This is a part-time position 3-4 days per week.
Reports to: Executive Director
The Nursery Manager (NM) is responsible for overseeing the propagation facility and organizing efforts to grow, acquire, and sell plants to benefit the Garden, an operation which generates a significant portion of the Garden’s annual budget.
The NM will also direct a part-time Nursery Volunteer Coordinator who helps train new volunteers in propagation and supervise two day per week volunteer work sessions. The NM will identify projects to be done and help instruct volunteers in their work. The NM works closely with the Garden Manager, Volunteer Coordinator, and Curator staff.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Oversee Propagation Facility
- Manage the purchase of finished or seedling plants, liners and seeds to keep the stock interesting, relevant and current. Communicate with growers and our plant broker to identify species of interest.
- Perform plant health activities on an as needed basis.
- Oversee inventory of plants in propagation (assisted by volunteers) Keep propagation area clean and well-organized
- Responsible for irrigation system and supplemental watering
Responsible for winter protection, as needed
- Remove tender plants from plant sale house
- Place tender plants in greenhouses
- Cover exposed section of benching in nursery
2. Oversee Daily Plant Sales
- Ensure that the retail side of the nursery is stocked and staged at all times.
- Monitor all consumable materials used in plant production and reorder early enough so as not to hamper production.
- Create dish gardens and other decorative items to enhance plant sales as able, and provide support for volunteers who assist in this endeavor
- Work with Volunteer Coordinator to organize two weekly volunteer sessions, and provide instruction during work sessions
- Identify work projects to be done and communicate them using volunteer message board (for volunteers who work outside of scheduled work parties)
- Keep propagation guide updated with any new procedures
Plant Sales Support:
- Work all RBG 1 day plant sale events (currently 2-3 per year)
- Place advance wholesale plant orders for plant sales
- Organize stocking of plant sale house and garden areas with plants during the week before the sale
- Ensure plants are labeled and priced for the sale
- Install signage for plant groups for plant sales
- Enjoy working with and assisting the public
- Nursery and/or public garden experience- highly desirable
- Ability to work-inspire, educate, motivate- volunteers and other staff members
- Attention to detail
- Knowledge of plants, especially cactus and succulents
- Plant propagation experience
The hourly wage for this position is $21 hour for 3 month trial period, with increase awarded when position becomes permanent.
Interested applicants should send cover letter and resume to:
Attn: Eileen Hansen, Administrative Coordinator
1552 Bancroft Road
Walnut Creek CA 94598
Fax: (925) 256-1889
No phone calls, please.