Public Garden Career Center - View Job
Mt. Cuba Center
Posted: Thursday, December 12, 2013
Mt. Cuba Center
Classification: Full Time, Non-Exempt
Location: Hockessin, Delaware
Mt. Cuba Center seeks an enthusiastic Horticulturist who will provide excellent skills and services in support of the Area Horticulturists. Mt. Cuba Center is a non-profit horticultural organization dedicated to the study, conservation, and appreciation of plants of the Eastern United States, with a particular emphasis on the Piedmont region.
The Horticulturist is responsible for a broad range of garden maintenance activities in support of the Area Horticulturists for the continued development and refinement of the naturalistic and formal gardens at Mt. Cuba Center.
• Assists the Area Horticulturists with planting, transplanting, pruning, composting, spraying, watering, grooming, weeding, mulching and support of IPM (integrated pest management).
• Maintains and cares for tools including cleaning, safe storage, sharpening, etc.
• Maintains accurate plant records information as requested by the Area Horticulturists, guided by the Curatorial Division.
• Assists in supervision of seasonal employees, volunteers, and interns as necessary.
• Cooperates with grounds staff, arborists, and outside contractors for related work (e.g. soil preparation, large tree removal, pruning, etc.)
• Participates in leaf and snow removal activities throughout the property as needed.
• Occasionally participates in activities outside of the assigned garden areas to assist the Grounds Department, Greenhouse Division and Natural Lands Division with other maintenance activities.
• Periodically participates in training and tours with docents and professionals in the gardens
• Supports educational programs, research, and visitor experience endeavors
Education, Skills, Qualifications:
• An Associate’s Degree, certification, or equivalent training in horticulture, botany or related plant science field and 2+ years of hands-on horticultural experience are required.
• Excellent working knowledge of plant identification, plant growth and cultural characteristics, disease recognition and control.
• Possesses a strong interest in native plants and naturalistic gardening.
• Ability to operate various types of hand and power operated tools and equipment utilized in all phases of horticultural work (pruning saw, leaf blower, utility vehicle, etc.)
• Self-motivated, organized, attentive to details, able to manage time effectively and execute tasks independently.
• Ability and willingness to perform a variety of gardening tasks outdoors in a variety of weather conditions is essential.
• Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office Suite.
• Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to effectively communicate with the staff and the public.
• Ability and willingness to work weekends, holidays and special events as needed.
Date Available: February 2013
Compensation: Salary is commensurate with experience. Mt. Cuba Center provides excellent benefits which include health and dental insurance, generous paid vacation, sick, personal, and holiday time off, and a pension plan.
How to Apply: Please email a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Closing Date: This position will remain open until a suitable candidate is hired.