Public Garden Career Center - View Job
Gardener - Full Time
Posted: Wednesday, December 11, 2013
Gardener- Full Time
Gardener- Full Time (Media, PA)
Position: Tyler Arboretum, www.tylerarboretum.org, which is a historic arboretum with 100 acres of horticultural collections and 550 acres of natural areas, has a job opening for a full-time Gardener. This position is one of three that is responsible for the maintenance of the woody and herbaceous plant collections, turf areas, trails, natural areas and historic building maintenance. You would assist with design support and plant selection to the Arboretum garden elements and master plan, as well as assist in the maintenance of natural areas and our trail systems. This is a 37.5 hours per week full time, year round position that does require some weekend work.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Planting and maintenance of garden beds and containers in all garden areas to a superior quality
- Ongoing care of trees, shrubs, perennials and vines using best practices
- Turf care
- Meadow and Trail Maintenance
- Flower arranging
- Weed control
- Maintenance of clean and organized work and storage spaces
- Plant display labeling
- Proper utilization of basic landscape tools
- Safely and effectively operate small machinery and vehicles (golf cart/gator, mowers, string trimmer, blowers, chipper, tractor, loader, chainsaw, 1-ton truck, etc.) and provide operator servicing (filling and checking oil, gas, water, etc.) for same
- Occasional weeknight and weekend work as needed, including, snow removal, storm clean-up and special event support
- Recordkeeping (including horticultural notes and pesticide applications) and database update support to our plant recorder
- Periodic inventories of tools, fertilizers, pesticides, etc.
- Limited public interaction, including garden tours and workshops
- Provide support to the Arboretum for Special Event, meeting and class setup and tear down
- Train, supervise and work with interns and volunteers as necessary or as required
- Other related work as needed, such as equipment maintenance, painting, etc., or as requested by the Director of Horticulture
- A minimum of a B.S. or equivalent training in horticulture or a closely related field with at least 3-5 years hands on experience.
- Must be team oriented with excellent interpersonal skills and experienced in the supervision of volunteers and seasonal interns.
- Must have the ability to lift 50 lbs. and to perform strenuous physical tasks in all weather and temperature conditions.
- Have the ability to follow directions and work independently, as well as supervise and work as part of a team.
- Flexibility to work in an ever-changing environment with demonstrated ability to prioritize and juggle competing tasks and demands is key.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office and ArcView G.I.S. software a plus.
- Must possess, or be able to obtain and maintain a valid PA Driver’s License and a PA Pesticide Applicators License.
- Must be available to work weekends on a rotating basis and to provide support as needed for several arboretum events annually.
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience; benefits include a generous health plan as well as a 401(k) plan.
Apply to: Send a resume with cover letter and three references to:
Michael Karkowski, Director of Horticulture, Tyler Arboretum, 515 Painter Road, Media PA 19063 firstname.lastname@example.org