Public Garden Career Center - View Job
Taltree Arboretum and Gardens
Posted: Monday, October 14, 2013
Taltree Arboretum and Gardens
- Maintains outdoor herbaceous collections in formal gardens and native environments, including but not limited to soils, weeds, pest and disease control, plant selection, fertilization, deadheading, staking, planting and dividing.
- Assists in the preparation of management plans for outdoor gardens and living collections.
- Researches and assesses the best horticultural practices for managing the living collections.
- Assembles plant orders and schedules plant deliveries.
- Researches horticultural uses of plants.
- Identifies plants and conducts plant surveys.
- Assists with preparation of selected publications, profiles, and printed material regarding outdoor gardens and plant collections.
- Provides direction to and coordination of garden volunteers developing long-term productive relationships and growing the size of the program over time
- Provides direction to seasonal staff as needed.
- Assists in monitoring living collections for pests and diseases.
- Maintains systematic plant records in BG Base.
- Assists in writing related grants and/or provides information and data for relevant grants and proposals
- Maintains relevant herbarium specimens.
- Coordinates care of greenhouses with relevant staff.
- Teaches classes as needed
- Other duties as assigned.
- Participates in promoting the Arboretum in general, and horticulture specifically, using social media.
- Bachelors degree in horticulture or closely related field and demonstrated horticultural knowledge
- Minimum of two years experience as a professional horticulturist
- Demonstrated knowledge of plants native to Indiana
- Must have a State of Indiana Pesticide Applicators License for turf, ornamentals,
- greenhouse and aquatic pest management (or obtain within 3 months)
- Must possess a valid State of Indiana Driver’s License
- Knowledge of BG Base
- Ability to use social media
- Ability to use Microsoft office suite efficiently
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel crouch, or crawl; talk or hear and taste or smell. The employee is frequently required to stand and walk. The employee is occasionally required to sit and climb or balance. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.