Public Garden Career Center - View Job
The Lake View Cemetery
Posted: Thursday, October 3, 2013
The Lake View Cemetery
The Lake View Cemetery is seeking a Horticulturist to help build, lead, and grow a thriving landscape cemetery and arboretum.
Cleveland, Ohio is home to a large collection of cultural and historic assets, among them The Lake View Cemetery, a horticultural significant cemetery spread over 285-acres of Cleveland’s urban landscape. Founded in 1869, Lake View Cemetery attracts 400,000 visitors every year to enjoy the grounds and architectural wonders. As a working cemetery, Lake View is open to people of all races, religions, and walks of life.
The Lake View Cemetery also operates as one of the country’s most unique historical landscape garden cemeteries, featuring hundreds of varieties of trees and shrubs, lush natural areas, and specimen trees dating back to Moses Cleveland’s arrival on the banks of the Cuyahoga River more than 200 years ago. Visitors enjoy the grounds throughout the seasons, beginning with the spring bloom of Daffodil Hill.
The Lake View Cemetery Association oversees the operation and maintenance of Lake View Cemetery and generates earned revenue to support those operations through sales of memorial services and burial plots. The contributed income raised by The Lake View Cemetery Foundation is critical also to maintaining and sustaining the Cemetery and its programs that are enjoyed and explored by the public free or for a small charge.
Competitive salary and excellent benefit package is offered with immediate employment opportunity.
DUTIES AND REPSONSIBILITIES:
- Directs the grounds crew in the implementation and maintenance of the landscape plan, including the planting and maintenance of turf, trees, shrubs, ivy, and flowers.
- Researches, designs, and develops landscape plans.
- Assists in the preparation of budgetary recommendations; maintains supply inventories, and operational records.
- Speaks to the public, conducts tours of the cemetery grounds
- Maintains arboretum status by identifying and labeling plant collections.
- Coordinates appropriate outside contractual work.
- Maintains computerized plant records.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
- Knowledge of plant identification, installation and care normally acquired through completion of a bachelor’s degree in horticulture, botany or a related field or equivalent work experience
- Ability to operate various types of hand and power operated tools and equipment
- Landscape design experience preferred
- Working knowledge of a variety of computer software applications used for record keeping and presentations (i.e.: MSWord, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.)
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, and the ability to establish priorities and meet deadlines
- Well-developed customer relations skills.
- Must be able to work in an ever-changing environment with demonstrated ability to prioritize tasks and juggle competing tasks and demands.
- Occasional evening and weekend work is required.
- Must have a valid Ohio drivers’ license.
- Possession of a Commercial Pesticide Applicators license or ability to obtain within 6 months from date of hire.
EDUCATION/TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE
- Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor’s degree in Horticulture or related field with three to five years of management experience.
- High school diploma (or GED) with at least two years of management experience, and three to five years of experience in a related field.
Email, fax or mail cover letter and resume to:
firstname.lastname@example.org fax: 216-453-0971
Lake View Cemetery Association
12316 Euclid Ave
Cleveland, OH 44106