Public Garden Career Center - View Job
Vicky C. and David Byron Smith Children’s Garden Coordinator
Naples Botanical Garden
Posted: Friday, September 20, 2013
Vicky C. and David Byron Smith
Children’s Garden Coordinator
Naples Botanical Garden
Reports directly to: Director of Education
Naples Botanical Garden is a 170-acre world-class paradise, featuring the flora and cultures of the tropics and subtropics between the latitudes of 26 degrees north and 26 degrees south, including Brazil, the Caribbean, Southeast Asia and Florida. The Garden’s mission is to connect people and plants through display, education, conservation and science. The Garden’s Vicky C. and David Byron Smith Children’s Garden, along with 90- acres of beautifully restored native habitats, formal Gardens, walking trails, and Buehler Family Foundation Enabling Garden offer education and enjoyment for people of all ages. Naples Botanical Garden is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization.
Naples Botanical Garden is seeking a full-time Children’s Garden Coordinator for the Vicky C. and David Byron Smith Children’s Garden. The Smith Children’s Garden is an interactive learning environment for families consisting of native plants and habitats of southwest Florida, herbs and vegetables, a butterfly house and an array of play features. The successful candidate will oversee operation of the Smith Children’s Garden, including maintaining plantings and garden features, developing and delivering education programs, overseeing Garden staffing, and assisting with special events. The Children’s Garden Coordinator will work closely with the Youth Programs Manager and Director of Education.
Develop and deliver creative and innovative public programming, including formal and informal programs Collaborate with Garden staff to oversee day-to-day horticultural activities in the Smith Children’s Garden, including exhibit design, interactive experiences, edible gardens and natural ecosystems. Schedule and manage Smith Children’s Garden part-time assistants and interns. Oversee education and horticulture volunteers and docents working in the Garden.
Requirements and Skills:
- Bachelor’s degree in education, environmental education, horticulture, environmental studies or an equivalent level of education and experience.
- Extensive gardening or horticulture experience.
- Experience in developing and delivering formal or informal youth and family programming Creativity, imagination and the ability to inspire others to learn about our environment Prior experience overseeing volunteers or staff.
- Excellent communication skills, enthusiasm, and a desire to learn.
- Willingness and ability to work outdoors in inclement weather and ability to lift and carry at least 35 lbs. Must be able to work a flexible schedule, including periodic weekends and holidays.
- Applicants must possess a valid U.S. driver’s license and reliable transportation.
- Will be required to undergo a background check prior to being hired.
Please provide a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three references by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include ‘Children’s Garden Coordinator’ in the subject line. To find out more about Naples Botanical Garden, please visit our website at www.naplesgarden.org. Naples Botanical Garden is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The Garden has a long-standing policy of employment and advancement based solely upon qualifications to perform the essential elements of a position without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin or disability.