Public Garden Career Center - View Job
The Nelda C. and H.J. Lutcher Stark Foundation
Posted: Thursday, July 25, 2013
Introduction: The Nelda C. and H.J. Lutcher Stark Foundation was established in 1961 by Nelda and Lutcher Stark to provide support and create opportunities for historical, artistic, environmental and cultural enrichment. The Stark Foundation operates the following Stark Cultural Venues: Stark Museum of Art, Shangri La Botanical Gardens and Nature Center, The W.H. Stark House, and Frances Ann Lutcher Theater for the Performing Arts. These venues provide the Orange, Texas community and Southeast Texas region with outstanding resources for the study and enjoyment of art, nature, history and culture.
Job Summary: The Communications Manager leads the Communications Department, which includes Marketing, Membership, Public and Media Relations. The Communications Manager is responsible for the Foundation’s comprehensive communications strategy, including development, implementation and management of marketing, advertising, branding, membership, promotional activities, website and social media initiatives, and general organizational communications both in print and virtual of the Stark Cultural Venues in a manner that is proactive, creative and effective and that meets organizational objectives.
This is a great opportunity for a self-driven, high energy person to grow a program in a unique and exciting organization. The Communications Manager reports to the Stark Foundation President/CEO.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Develop and implement strategic marketing plans for three Stark Cultural Venues: The W.H. Stark House, Stark Museum of Art, and Shangri La Botanical Gardens and Nature Center;
• Work collaboratively with venue staff to create admission-driving strategies that combine collections, exhibits, programs, events, promotions, advertising, publicity, and membership in a manner that furthers the Foundation’s mission
• Provide leadership on brand management in a manner that retains separate venue identities but also recognizes the collaborative opportunities among them;
• Develop, manage and support staff members, enhancing exceptional ability and maintaining accountability;
• Create marketing and communications programs designed to convey a clear and consistent identity that will generate understanding and enthusiasm for the Stark Cultural Venues’ missions and goals;
• Use traditional, digital, social media promotion, and advertising to maximize attendance;
• Prepare and administer the annual marketing, promotional, advertising, and membership budgets;
• Oversee graphic design and copywriting of promotional and marketing materials;
• Develop, implement and manage the strategy and support functions for Stark Cultural Venues website, Stark Foundation website, and venue-specific websites;
• Conduct, analyze, share results of, and respond to market, audience, and attendance research;
• Establish media conventions and standard communications protocol;
• Manage relationships with ad agencies, advertising representatives, and publishing companies including developing media planning and leveraged buying;
• Represent the Stark Cultural Venues to community organizations;
• Develop and oversee strategic plans for the Stark Cultural Venues membership program;
• Be an active member of the Management Team.
Qualifications: The successful candidate must have:
• Strong leadership experience with a minimum of 5 years of progressive leadership responsibility;
• A level of education appropriate to the position, preferably a degree in Marketing, Communications, Public Relations or a related discipline;
• Demonstrated leadership skills in planning and directing employees and processes;
• Marketing experience in driving attendance, building identity and branding for non-profit and/or cultural organizations and/or attractions ;
• Experience in monitoring, managing and developing staff to ensure smooth operation of the Communications Department;
• Experience developing and managing budgets;
• Demonstrated effective written and oral communication skills; proficiency in editing non-technical materials; proficiency in writing, editing and proofreading and knowledge of related standards;
• Ability to follow through and meet deadlines while coordinating many current and long-range projects simultaneously;
• Knowledge of graphic design concepts, practices, and standards;
• Excellent organizational skills, attention to detail, and the ability to multitask under pressure in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment; and
• Ability to represent the Stark Foundation and Stark Cultural Venues with a high level of integrity and professionalism, adhere to policies, maintain confidentiality, and support management decisions in a positive professional manner;
• Be committed to and enthusiastic about the Stark Cultural Venues’ missions;
• Be a highly motivated self-starter with a hands on work ethic;
• Have good judgment, mature thinking and managerial savvy ;
• Be outgoing and a people person;
• Have a positive, can-do attitude and a sense of humor.
Compensation: $65-$70,000 depending on experience. Excellent benefit package which includes medical, dental, life, and disability insurance; defined benefit pension and 403b retirement plans; paid sick leave, vacation and holidays.
How to Apply: Email cover letter outlining your experience and how it relates to the position, resume, and contact information for three references. Please include a writing sample. Email to firstname.lastname@example.org .