Public Garden Career Center - View Job
Children's Garden Manager
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Posted: Tuesday, June 4, 2013
CHILDREN'S GARDEN MANAGER
Description of the Job:
This position is a collaboration between the Horticulture Department and the Education Department as the main responsibility will be to manage Children’s Garden maintenance and work with the Education Department to develop and implement youth garden programs.
Essential job functions may include: Outdoor horticulture maintenance – planting seasonal color, developing and installing special event exhibits, watering, weeding, pruning, and operating, inspecting, and maintaining equipment; emptying trash; skimming lake; application of products related to flowerbed maintenance such as fertilizers and pesticides. The worker must observe and remember details, collaborate with Education Dept. to create and conduct some youth education programs and plan seasonal display and raised vegetable beds for educational programs, establish and meet garden project completion schedules on a daily, weekly, and monthly basis. Additionally the worker will need to develop signage and will play a critical role developing and installing displays during special events. The worker must be able to assume responsibility for following all procedures and guidelines related to safety, safe operation of equipment, and equipment maintenance tasks. Work quality and compliance with established policies and procedures are reviewed by a supervisor through visual inspection of results and observation of work in progress. Employee must maintain a friendly, polite, service oriented demeanor and interact with the public when appropriate.
- Professional work ethic
- Ability to work flexible hours as needed
- Ability to work with others, especially volunteers and children
- Ability to follow safety procedures, rules and regulations
- Ability to make independent decisions
- Excellent communication and organizational abilities
- Maintain outgoing personality and enthusiastic attitude
- Valid driver’s license
PRIMARY WORK LOCATIONS:
- Outside; continually exposed to heat, cold, humidity, dust, etc.
- Indoor or outdoor classroom
- Around children and adults
- Exposed to plant and tree pollens, bee or wasp stings, poison oak, ivy, or sumac and/or other allergy causing agents
- Subject to working on or around slippery surfaces such as wet sidewalks, mud and oil
- Exposed to hazards due to lifting, cleaning, and using tools and/or equipment
- Will work near moving objects such as traffic and equipment
- Exposed to toxins and chemical irritants such as fertilizers, pesticides and herbicides, etc.
- Strength enough to lift, push, pull or carry objects weighing up to 50 pounds such as trash and equipment
- Stamina enough to exert oneself physically throughout the working day
- Extent flexibility and gross body coordination enough to bend, twist, or reach out to load and unload trucks; etc.
- Near and far vision enough to see oncoming traffic and to use equipment with which one is working.
- Hearing enough to understand a conversation in noisy environment and to determine location of traffic
- Speech enough to communicate clearly and distinctly with co-workers and supervisor
Position: Exempt position that reports to Director of Horticulture
Benefits: Health, Dental, Vision insurance, 401K matching
To apply: Please send a resume and three letters of recommendation to: email@example.com. Or mail to: Myriad Gardens Foundation, 301 W. Reno, OKC, OK 73102
Job is open until filled.