Public Garden Career Center - View Job
Taltree Arboretum & Gardens
Posted: Monday, April 22, 2013
Seasonal Gardener Job Description
Reports to: Horticulturist
Function: Performs a variety of gardening duties involved in maintenance of gardens at Taltree
Schedule: Full Time Temporary (March 30-October 31, 2013)
Revision Date: March 27, 2013
The Full-Time Temporary Gardeners primary functions include the following (other duties may be assigned):
· Prunes shrubs and trees to shape and improve growth or remove damaged leaves, branches, or twigs.
· Sprays shrubs, and small trees with fertilizer, herbicide, and insecticides.
· Cleans grounds and removes litter.
· Plants grass, flowers, trees, and shrubs.
· Waters and weeds gardens.
· Sharpens tools such as pruner.
· Mulch Gardens.
· Adhere to all safety regulations well using tools and equipment.
· Successfully complete all required training.
· This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
· Oral Communication- Listens and gets clarification; Responds well to questions.
· Written Communications- Able to read and interpret written information.
· Teamwork-Balances team and individual responsibilities; Exhibits objectivity and openness to other’s views; Gives and welcomes feedback; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Puts success of team above own interests; Able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives; Supports everyone’s efforts to succeed.
· Planning/Organizing- Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently.
· Quality- Monitors own work to ensure quality.
· Quantity- Meets productivity standards; Completes work in timely manner; Strives to increase productivity; Works quickly.
· Safety and Security- Observes safety and security procedures; Determines appropriate action beyond guidelines; Reports potentially unsafe conditions; Uses equipment and materials properly.
· Attendance/Punctuality- Is consistently at work and on time; Ensures work responsibilities are covered when absent; Arrives at meetings and appointments on time.
· Dependability- Follows instructions, responds to management directions; Takes responsibility for own actions; Keeps commitments; Commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals; Completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternative plan.
· To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and Experience
· High school diploma or general education degree (GED); or one to three months related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
· Must have and maintain a valid driver’s license.
· Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions , short correspondences, and memos.
· Ability to write simple correspondence.
· Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization.
· Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
· Ability to compute reate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
Cognitive and Reasoning Ability
· Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry our detailed but uninvolved written or oral instructions.
· Ability to deal with problems involving concrete variables in standardization situations.
· To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of Internet software.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel crouch, or crawl; talk or hear and taste or smell. The employee is frequently required to stand and walk. The employee is occasionally required to sit and climb or balance. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly exposed to wet and/or humid conditions. The employee is frequently exposed to outside weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.