Public Garden Career Center - View Job
Posted: Friday, March 15, 2013
Greenhouse Grower Opportunity:
This is an exciting and unique opportunity for a qualified greenhouse grower at Cantigny Park. Join the prestigious horticulture staffand work in an 18,000 square foot greenhouse that produces every flower that is growing in the gardens. As greenhouse grower, you will be responsible for a wide range of production tasks and you will be involved in the planning of Cantigny’s greenhouse improvements which will focus on green technology and sustainability. This is an 8 month term position with a possibility of extension. Excellent compensation. Visit www.cantigny.orgfor requirements and complete job description.
Located in Wheaton, Illinois, Cantigny Park is the former home of Colonel Robert McCormick, longtime editor and publisher of the Chicago Tribune. Cantigny Park is home of the McCormick Museum, First Division Museum, spectacular gardens, picnic grounds, nature trails, a Visitors Center with banquet and dining facilities, educational and recreational programs, a championship golf course, and much more. Explore Cantigny at www.cantigny.org.
Created by renowned landscape architect Franz Lipp, the twenty-nine acres of formal gardens at Cantigny are a horticultural masterpiece. Cantigny possesses one of the largest display gardens in the Midwest with more than 160,000 annuals, perennials, ground covers and flowering shrubs and trees. Cantigny’s gardens are a source of education, recreation and inspiration to thousands of visitors annually.
How to apply:
Interested applicants must submit a resume, cover letter, and salary requirements to Human Resources at: MFResumes@McCormickFoundation.Org
Complete Job Description
Cantigny Greenhouse Grower
Department: Horticulture Status: Non-Exempt
Supervisor: Greenhouse Manager Effective Date: 3/13/13
This is a unique 8 month term position for a qualified greenhouse grower. Primary responsibility is to grow top quality plants for the Cantigny Horticulture Department. Assist greenhouse staff in the daily operations of the production facilities.
1. Performs assigned grower functions such as crop scheduling, IPM, seed sowing, cutting propagation, transplanting, potting, watering, fertilizing, pinching, etc. Takes whatever action is necessary to insure timely and healthy propagation & finishing of crops assigned to his/her care, in collaboration with Horticulture staff.
2. Assists in planning, implement, and monitor a fertigation program including the safe handling of fertilizer and acids. Must be able to perform testing of; pH, alkalinity and nutrient levels of water, media, and plants to ensure proper nutritional care of various crops.
3. Assists the greenhouse staff in implementing Integrated Pest Management Program activities such as scouting, spraying, etc. using safe practices as trained and in accordance with EPA and Illinois Dept. of Agriculture standards.
4. Looks after the routine welfare of the greenhouse facilities and equipment in accordance with the manager's instructions and in the manager's absence. Helps to ensure that the greenhouses, equipment, environmental controls, etc. are operating properly and reports any problems. Helps maintain the production facilities, equipment, storage and work areas in a clean and safe condition.
5. Responsible for participating in educational opportunities as it relates to the goals of Cantigny’s horticulture and greenhouse operations.
6. Provides for personal safety in the workplace by attending and completing all required safety training, knowing and following existing safety rules including the applicable use of personal protection equipment, the proper operation of tools/machinery and proper handling of hazardous materials, and reporting any unsafe conditions to respective supervisor.
7. Actively participates in various Cantigny activities and functions involving the recreation and education of visitors, such as Greenhouse Open House(s), and miscellaneous tours, classes, demonstrations, departmental functions, etc.
8. Collaborates with Greenhouse staff with scheduling, training, and supervising volunteers assigned to assist with Grower duties.
9. Performs all other duties as assigned
1. 4 year degree in horticulture preferred or 2-year associates in Horticulture or related field with at least 2 years experience in the industry
2. Must be able to obtain an Illinois pesticide license (within 30 days)
3. Must be a self- starter with a positive attitude and able to work with others in a team environment.
4. Must have passion for plants
5. Proficient in operation of personal computers including; Microsoft Office software applications; Word, Outlook, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint.
6. Must possess outstanding oral and written skills
7. Ability to perform strenuous physical labor and lift 50 pound plant containers, soil mixes, etc.
8. Able to work weekends and select holidays.
9. Must be willing to work weekend days and some holidays when necessary.