Public Garden Career Center - View Job
Director of Education
Myriad Botanical Gardens
Oklahoma City, OK
Posted: Monday, March 11, 2013
Myriad Botanical Gardens
Director of Education
Myriad Botanical Gardens seeks a full-time Director of Education to develop, implement, manage and evaluate all educational and public programs and activities for youth and adults.
Myriad Botanical Garden is a 17-acre botanical garden and urban park in the heart of downtown Oklahoma City. It is home to the Crystal Bridge Tropical Conservatory, a 10,000 sq. foot tropical plant conservatory, and Oklahoma City landmark. In 2010-11, the Gardens underwent a $43 million redesign to include new gardens, activity areas and facilities that include: a children’s garden and playground; visitor center, interactive water features, a Great lawn and Band shell, restaurant, seasonal ice rink, ponds, dog park, and new classroom facilities.
The redesign of the Myriad Botanical Gardens is part of a larger, long-term comprehensive and innovative urban renewal and quality of life improvement effort for the entire City of Oklahoma that has garnered national awards and attention for its highly successful results.
The Director of Education is a passionate, creative, resourceful and strategic planner who manages the development, implementation and evaluation of all educational and interpretative programs for youth, adults, schools, teachers and community groups.
The Director of Education is responsible for ensuring the highest level of quality programming and for meeting revenue goals for the education department.
The Director of Education will work closely with the Director of Horticulture, Special Events Coordinator, Director of Marketing and Communication and Educational interns to help plan, market, implement programs, special events and exhibits.
The Director of Education will ensure that all programs are planned and delivered in a top quality way to ensure a high quality experience for any individual or group coming to the Gardens for an educational experience.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
· Direct and manage the planning, implementation and evaluation of a wide range of plant and garden related educational and interpretive programs for youth, adults, school and community groups.
· Ensure programming is relevant, creative, fun and marketable for specific audiences
· Produce a quarterly written schedule of events with complete information and descriptions for all programs and events by given deadlines and to achieve financial goals.
· Research audience interests to develop fee-based programs for various audiences including certificate programs, hands-on workshop series etc.
· Develop and implement educational programs, theme gardens, seasonal exhibits and fun activities for youth and families in the Children’s Garden.
· Develop educational partnerships with local, state and national organizations.
· Develop and manage the educational department budget to achieve revenue goals.
· Conduct educational program assessments and evaluations
· Hire, train and manage educational interns and volunteers to assist in planning and implementing programs.
· Serve as the primary representative for community outreach to schools and other community groups.
· Act as the liaison to the Gardens’ education committee of the Board of Directors.
· Perform other duties as needed and assigned.
Knowledge and Experience Required
· A passion for plants, gardening and an enthusiasm for fostering a love, understanding of and appreciation for plants and gardening, botanical arts and science and the natural world to all ages.
· Enthusiasm, creativity, resourcefulness, work ethic and a desire to create top quality programs to advance the Myriad Botanical Gardens as a center for educational excellence.
· B.A. in Education, Horticulture, Business or related field with 3-5 years educational and managerial experience.
· 3-5 years of experience in curriculum development and informal educational program development and implementation.
· Experience with creating and managing budgets, supervisory experience and team and staff development.
· High level of organization skills with ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects while meeting quality standards and deadlines.
· Ability to work independently and within a team structure.
· Excellent oral and written communication, excellent public speaking skills and computer competency.
· Ability to proactively reach out to identify and develop educational partnerships in the community with diverse organizations and groups.
· Must be able to work some weekends and evenings
Compensation and Benefits: Myriad Botanical Gardens offers a competitive salary with excellent benefit package including: health, dental and vision insurance, matching 401(k) retirement plan, vacation and continuing education opportunities.
Please apply by sending a resume and three letters of references to: firstname.lastname@example.org or: Myriad Gardens Foundation, ATT: A. Elkins,
123 S. Hudson, Oklahoma City, OK 73104.
Applications due: March 29, 2013.