Public Garden Career Center - View Job
Environmental Education Intern at Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens
Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2013
ENVIRONMENTAL EDUCATION INTERNSHIP
Position: Environmental Education Intern at Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens
CMBG Mission: Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens is committed to the protection, preservation and enhancement of the botanical heritage of coastal Maine for people of all ages through horticulture, education, and research.
Internship Mission: To provide experience and opportunities for growth in the fields of environmental education, volunteer management, public programming and horticulture.
Environmental Education; Volunteer Management; Community Relations; Horticulture
The purpose of the Environmental Education Internship is to offer hands-on experience in public programming, interpretation, teaching, and planning in a public garden setting. Under the supervision of the Director of Education and the Youth and Family Program Coordinator, the Environmental Education Intern will be responsible for:
· Assisting with the implementation of environmental education programs for children and their families including, but not limited to, school group tours and nature walks, nature camps, drop-in classes and informal educational activities in the Children’s Garden such as storytime, garden puppet theatre and nature investigations.
· Assisting with the implementation of horticultural and botanical education programs for adults.
· Scheduling and hosting visiting school groups and other youth groups.
· Assisting with set-up and hosting of both adult and youth educational programming and special events in the Bosarge Family Education Center.
· Assisting with coordinating and managing Education Department volunteers.
· Assisting with the daily upkeep of the Bibby and Harold Alfond Children’s Garden.
· Assist in developing interpretive materials and exhibits relating to plants.
The successful candidate should have some college experience at minimum. A background in environmental education, horticulture, botany, agriculture or a related field is required. Must have some experience in serving the public, working with children and a keen interest in serving the visitors of Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens. Some knowledge of gardening is strongly desired. General teaching and computer skills are also desirable. We’re seeking a responsible, well-organized, enthusiastic individual who has a love for plants, nature and the outdoors and will enjoy working as part of our education staff team.
This full-time seasonal position begins April 23rd and continues until mid-October. Working weekends is a requirement of this position. Rate of pay for this position is $10.00 per hour.
Qualified candidates should submit a cover letter describing their interest in the position, a resume, and a list of three references to:
Melissa Cullina, Director of Education and Staff Botanist, firstname.lastname@example.org
Application Deadline: Wednesday, March 13th, 2013