Public Garden Career Center - View Internship
2013 summer internships
JC Raulston Arboretum
Posted: Tuesday, February 5, 2013
The Arboretum is excited to open applications for 2013 summer internships! The JCRA Internships will enrich the educational experiences of students and assist the Arboretum in its own educational mission. The internships are funded as part-time learning experiences. Internships will be enriched with training on gardening cultural topics including plant ID and nomenclature, interlaced with the physical aspects of garden management. A wide variety of activities including planting, pruning, plant propagation, mulching, edging, weeding, deadheading annual flowers, data collection in the Annual Color Trials, and other plant collections maintenance practices will be part of each interns assignments. Interns will work with JCRA staff members during their internship to provide an opportunity to understand key roles and responsibilities for operation of the Arboretum. Interns will also work with volunteers and our Master Plan Design group. Interns will be expected to work as part of the JCRA team but also need to be capable of working independently.
General Application Criteria
- Full-time student status in a two or four year college program is required at the time of application. Students who are due to graduate spring semester 2013 are eligible to apply.
- Please provide a one page personal interest statement
- Please submit a current resume.
- Ask one person to write a letter of personal reference to support your application. Please have your reference letter sent directly to the "JCRA Internship Selection Committee" at the JCRA address/e-mail address below.
- All application materials must be received by Friday, March 15, 2013.
- Education, background, or experience in horticultural science or related plant science will be given preference in selection of internships.
- Internships will pay $10 per hour.
- Internships begin May 13, 2013, working Monday through Thursday for 32 hours per week and last 12 weeks until Thursday, August 12, 2013, or otherwise as arranged.
Send all Application Materials to:
Dr. Ted E. Bilderback, Professor and Director
JC Raulston Arboretum
Campus Box 7522
Raleigh, NC 27695-7522
Phone: (919) 513-7006
Fax: (919) 515-5361
Web site: www.ncsu.edu/