Public Garden Career Center - View Job
Botanical Garden Climber/Pruner
The New York Botanical Garden
Posted: Tuesday, January 29, 2013
The New York Botanical Garden, a National Historic Landmark and one of NYC’s premier cultural institutions, seeks a candidate to join their Horticulture department as a Botanical Garden Climber/Pruner. The New York Botanical Garden is a museum of plants, an educational institution, and a scientific research organization. It is the largest in any city in the United States spanning 250 acres of landscape, 50 curated display gardens, and array of programs, exhibitions, and activities. The Garden also houses the most important botanical and horticultural library in the world.
Summary of Responsibilities:
The Climber/Pruner assists in and performs all types of work required for the planning, maintenance, and removal of trees and large shrubs; performs related work. Under supervision, works with woody and herbaceous plant materials including, but not limited to the following types of work: climb and prune, brace, cut and fell, plant, transplant, and care for large trees and shrubs. Spray trees and large shrubs to protect them against insects, fungi, or other parasites. Perform tree inspection work as required. Operate manual and power-driven equipment in the performance of the above duties and operate cars, trucks and other motorized equipment incidental to the performance of the above duties.
- Six months of satisfactory, full-time experience as a climber and pruner or arborist performing the duties described below.
- Valid NYS Driver’s License.
- Class B Commercial Driver’s License valid in the State of New York required or the ability to obtain within one year of hire. The Class B Commercial Driver’s License must be maintained for the duration of this employment.
- NYS Pesticides Applicants License, Category 3-A required or the ability to obtain within 6 months of hire.
- Flexibility to work different schedules including Saturdays and Sundays.
Annual Salary: $54,111/yr.
The application deadline for this position is: March 22, 2013.
Written exam invitations will be sent out after application deadline and all resumes have been reviewed.
Qualified candidates should submit a cover letter describing their interest in the position and a resume to HR2@NYBG.ORG (please use MS Word format) or visit our website at WWW.NYBG.ORG and click on About, then Employment. Please indicate Botanical Garden Climber/Pruner, H-1526 on all submitted documents.
The New York Botanical Garden is an Equal Opportunity Employer.