Public Garden Career Center - View Internship
Children's Garden Interns
Queens Botanical Garden
Posted: Tuesday, February 26, 2013
Queens Botanical Garden Children's Garden Interns
The Queens Botanical Garden (QBG) is a private non-profit cultural institution located on 39 acres of New York City public land in Flushing, New York.
Queens Botanical Garden’s HSBC Children’s Garden enables children ages 5-12 the opportunity to plant, maintain, and harvest vegetables, herbs, and flowers in an outdoor learning environment. The children not only explore various methods of gardening, but also discover their surrounding environment through hands-on activities about birds, insects, trees, solar energy, water conservation, and composting. These unpaid positions offer a unique opportunity for individuals with interests in horticulture, education, environmental sustainability and/or non-profit organizations. Internships are available throughout the year and can be combined or filled by different individuals.
- Planting, preparation, and maintenance of the Children’s Garden
- Working with children and facilitating lessons during spring, summer and fall programs
Ideal candidates will:
- Be pursuing studies in education, botany, environmental studies or related field
- Be knowledgeable of basic small-scale fruit and vegetable gardening
- Have experience working with children
- Be able to work some evenings, and weekends, as mentioned below.
- Be self-motivated with the ability to work both alone and in groups
Dates and Times
- There are several positions available, and any or all of the following listed can be combined.
- Ideally, these interns will be available for the following schedule: (can be flexible)
- Spring program- Saturday mornings for 10 weeks (late March-mid June)
- Summer program- Mondays through Thursdays for 7 weeks (July-August).
- Fall program- Weekend afternoons for 4 weeks (September-October)
To apply send resume and cover letter to email@example.com. No calls please.