Public Garden Career Center - View Job
Assistant Grounds & Project Manager
Posted: Wednesday, January 16, 2013
Glenstone — Assistant Grounds & Project Manager
Glenstone is a modern art museum set on 160 bucolic acres amidst a suburban neighborhood in Potomac, Md. Founded in 2006, the organization seeks to seamlessly blend its art, architecture and landscape for the inspirational and educational benefit of the citizens of Maryland and the world over.
As an organization that strives for excellence and value in its every endeavor, Glenstone seeks only highly qualified candidates with the most keen sense of personal motivation, attention to detail, organizational skills and professional decorum. This position calls for a team leader capable of recognizing, perhaps expanding upon, existing standards of excellence in the field.
- Assist in managing the daily operations of all grounds management activities within best organic practices protocols, including Sustainable Sites, OMRI, NOFA and others.
- Help coordinate and manage all staff and sub-contractor work within the context of a historically significant facilities expansion and grounds enhancement.
- Work with world-renowned landscape architects to bring their vision to fruition.
- Oversee installation and annual maintenance of the world’s largest mosaiculture sculpture.
- Oversee installation and annual maintenance of the world’s largest lily pond garden.
- Deliver and manage results within budgetary constraints and staffing limitations.
- Create and manage a dynamic internship program with local, national and international universities.
- Function as an outreach team member to bring the Glenstone landscape educational experience to the visitors and the outside world, including an ongoing research project with the University of Maryland and the SafeLawns Foundation.
- Be as flexible as necessary with regard to work hours for events, projects and any and all special circumstances.
IDEAL SKILL SETS
- Knowledge of turf, trees, ornamentals, aquatic plants and soil science.
- Familiarity with heavy equipment and other tools and products unique to the trade.
- Background in aquatics, storm water management, irrigation and sewage systems.
- Strong interpersonal communication skills, with public speaking skills a plus.
- Exemplary staff and project management skills.
- Ability to function as a leader within a team environment.
- Knowledge of budget creation and management.
- Strong record keeping skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to deliver on deadline and work under pressure.
- Bachelor’s degree in horticulture or equivalent work experience.
- 5-10 years landscaping and/or public garden or outdoor facilities management.
- Ability to work outside in a hands-on manner
- Ability to travel on business trips as needed.
- Employee health and dental insurance coverage
- 401(k) program
- Generous paid time off.
- $65,000 (range)
HOW TO APPLY
- Send resume, cover letter and salary requirements to Paul Tukey, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please do not attempt to contact Glenstone directly