Reports to: Director of Horticulture, Cantigny Park
Located in Wheaton, Illinois, Cantigny Park is the former home of Colonel Robert McCormick, longtime editor and publisher of the Chicago Tribune. Cantigny Park is home of the McCormick Museum, First Division Museum, spectacular gardens, picnic grounds, nature trails, a Visitors Center with banquet and dining facilities, educational and recreational programs, a championship golf course, and much more. Explore Cantigny at www.cantigny.org.
Created by renowned landscape architect Franz Lipp, the twenty-nine acres of formal gardens at Cantigny are a horticultural masterpiece. Cantigny possesses one of the largest display gardens in the Midwest with more than 160,000 annuals, perennials, ground covers and flowering shrubs and trees. Cantigny’s gardens are a source of education, recreation and inspiration to thousands of visitors annually.
The greenhouse manager is a “hands-on” position responsible for managing all greenhouse operations, overseeing and coordinating the production of high quality plants and identifying & implementing greenhouse operational efficiencies. Supervises, develops, and maintains an effective team of paid and volunteer staff to support greenhouse operations. Responsible for assessing the efficiency of operations, assessing quality of plant material and will work in collaboration with the horticulture manager to develop high quality, innovative designs for horticulture displays.
· Responsible for hiring, training and supervising the activities of; Senior Grower, Grower, Floral Designer, Grower Assistant(s), and Volunteers, assisting with greenhouse operations.
· Works in collaboration with the horticulture staff to develop innovative plant designs and oversees all production & procurement of all plant material for horticulture operations.
· Provides and assists in identifying necessary learning opportunities for staff to develop and innovate plant production, floral displays and greenhouse operations.
· Responsible for planning and budgeting for the production of all crops and related materials necessary to fulfill Cantigny needs and assists in monitoring budget activity relating to all greenhouse operations.
· Orders &/or oversees the ordering of materials and supplies for the greenhouse operations, receives shipments, maintains purchasing and receiving records, verifies invoices and forwards for director's approval.
· Oversees and plans production schedules, space utilization, and procurement and storage of all production materials needed to fill crop orders.
· Coordinates disposition of horticultural materials to non-profit organizations upon Director of Horticulture’s approval.
· Oversees growth and maintenance of plants being produced through proper watering, fertilizing, pest control, spacing, sanitation and other horticultural techniques.
· Oversees the control of the greenhouse environment management computer system.
· Coordinates an Integrated Pest Management Program relating to production crops. Maintains an Illinois Pesticide Applicator’s License and oversees the mixing and application of pesticides using safe practices as trained and in accordance with EPA and Illinois Department of Agriculture standards.
· Oversees interior horticulture & floral displays and interior floral displays throughout Cantigny facilities, gift shop garden and sales of plant material through the Gift Shop and Pro Shop.
· Insures that all production facilities and equipment are kept organized, clean and operating properly and notifies the Director of Horticulture if they are not.
· Maintains cultural records and inventories of plant supplies and their designated use, vendor and contact information.
· Actively participates in various Cantigny activities and functions involving the recreation and education of visitors, including Open House, conferences, lectures, tours, demonstrations, etc.
Requirements: Must have a four year degree from an accredited institution with a focus in Horticulture, Horticulture Production or related field
· Valid Illinois Pesticide Operators license (or ability to obtain one within 6 months of hire).
· Minimum 3-5 years supervisory experience preferably in greenhouse management.
· Outstanding verbal, written, and interpersonal communication and presentation skills.
· Passion for plants and sharing information about the environment.
· Must have experience in managing a budget.
· Must be a self-starter with the ability to motivate, inspire and empower staff to take on greater areas of responsibility.
· The greenhouse operation is a 7 day a week, year round operation and the greenhouse manager must be willing to work weekend days and some holidays as required.
How to apply:
Interested applicants must submit a resume, cover letter, and salary requirements to Human Resources at: MFResumes@McCormickFoundation.Org