Public Garden Career Center - View Internship
VOLUNTEER COORDINATOR INTERNSHIP
Category: Visitor Services
Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens
Posted: Monday, January 14, 2013
VOLUNTEER COORDINATOR INTERNSHIP (Stipend)
Position:Volunteer Coordinator Assistant at Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens
CMBG Mission: Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens is committed to the protection, preservation, and enhancement of the botanical heritage of coastal Maine for people of all ages through horticulture, education, and research.
Internship Mission: Prepare college students to enter the field of volunteer management by providing: an understanding of the critical role of volunteers in non-profit and for-profit organizations and an opportunity to learn and apply relevant human resource management skills.
Human Resource Management; Volunteer Management; Community Relations
The Volunteer Coordinator Assistant Internship offers hands-on experience in all facets of volunteer management, including recruitment, placement, training, maintenance, and recognition. Nearly 600 volunteers serve Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens in multiple program and special event settings. Under the supervision and mentorship of the Volunteer Coordinator, the Volunteer Coordinator Intern will have the opportunity to:
- Learn best practices for making initial volunteer contacts via multiple communication channels, including face-to-face, letter, email, social media, and telephone.
- Learn best practices to effectively develop volunteer needs listings by working with CMBG staff to write volunteer job descriptions and define corresponding time commitments.
- Assist with matching and placing volunteers in programs and event-support functions.
- Assist in developing and executing training programs for volunteers.
- Learn and manage computer-based strategies for supporting and managing volunteers.
- Assist in designing, developing, and implementing a 2012 initiative to empower volunteers as managers of volunteers in selected programs.
- Learn a range of volunteer recognition strategies employed on a daily/weekly/monthly/annual basis.
- Learn best practices in Customer Services, including working with the Visitor Services team.
The successful candidate must have an outgoing personality; computer skills; solid organizational skills; a love for plants, nature, and the outdoors; and an interest in serving the constituencies of CMBG as well as learning more about the Gardens’ environment.
Hours are flexible, with core hours generally beginning at 9 a.m. on Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Volunteer programs at Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens begin May 1.
Amanda Russell, Volunteer Coordinator, Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens, P.O. Box 234, Boothbay, Maine 04537; or email Amanda at email@example.com.