Public Garden Career Center - View Job
FULL TIME HORTICULTURIST
Murrells Inlet, SC
Posted: Thursday, January 10, 2013
FULL TIME HORTICULTURIST
Brookgreen Gardens is a national historical landmark accredited by the AAM and the AZA. It is a non-profit organization in Murrells Inlet, SC and comprises a total of over 9,000 acres of coastline, natural areas, zoo, and gardens. It is a public garden that displays the largest outdoor collection of American figurative sculpture in the world. The main gardens and arboretum consist of 50 acres and the main gardens are split into over 15 garden rooms. The garden rooms feature different planting themes including a native garden, perennial borders, woodland garden, butterfly garden, tropical garden, English cottage garden, edible garden, children’s garden, foliage garden, fountain garden, wetland bog, many seasonal annual display gardens. The gardens also feature numerous woody tree and shrub specimens, including ancient live oaks throughout the property, some that exceed 300 years in age.
We are seeking a full-time Horticulturist to join our team. The Horticulturist will report to the Vice President of Horticulture & Conservation and the Manager of Horticulture. The Horticulturist is responsible for achieving and maintaining a high level of horticultural quality in a designated garden area, thereby ensuring that all such plantings are developed and maintained at the highest level of excellence. The Horticulturist shares in responsibility of maintaining and continuously improving the appearance of gardens outside their designated area as well, and shares in the responsibility for the success of Brookgreen Gardens as a whole.
Responsibilities will include:
• Design of garden beds
• Planting and maintenance of garden beds
• Irrigation and fertilization of garden beds
• Container garden design and maintenance
• Garden renovation
• General garden clean up
• Deadheading of annuals and perennials
• Pruning of trees, shrubs, and perennials
• Soil amendment
• Composting and other environmentally responsible practices
• Monitoring and treatment of health problems of all plant material
• Operation and utilization of basic landscape tools (pruners, loppers, hand shears, hand saws, spades, shovels, rakes, mulch forks, etc.)
• Operation of power tools and heavy machinery as necessary (mowers, edgers, weed eaters, blowers, hedge trimmers, tillers, bed edger, tractor, forklift, chainsaw, etc.)
• Recordkeeping and database updates
• Plant labeling
• Greenhouse maintenance
• Planting, transplanting and propagation of plant material
• Other related work as needed
• Assistance with many special events
Education and Experience
• Some college preferred. Certification or Degree in Horticulture or related field a plus.
• Previous professional plant care experience required
• Plant identification skills and knowledge of plant care preferred
• Must be able to lift 60 lbs
• Must be able to work outside for extended periods of time
• Must be able to work in inclement weather at times: heat, cold, light rain
• Must have a good attitude and be a team player
This is a full time hourly paid position with other benefits, including medical coverage, paid vacation, holidays, etc.
To apply visit www.brookgreen.org and click on employment.