Public Garden Career Center - View Job
Woodlands Garden of Decatur, Inc., a Georgia non-profit corporation
Posted: Monday, January 7, 2013
Title: Executive Director
Organization: Woodlands Garden of Decatur, Inc., a Georgia non-profit corporation
Reporting: To the Board of Directors
Location: Decatur, GA
Woodlands Garden of Decatur, Inc. (WGD) owns and operates a 7-acre site in Decatur, GA as a woodland garden. The Executive Director works as the day-to-day manager of WGD, working to fulfill the organization’s mission and strategic plan. This will be a part-time position, working approximately 25 hours per week. The person chosen will focus on all operational issues of the property, programming with local organizations, and fundraising. The Executive Director also manages the Garden Manager, who has responsibility for the day-to-day management of the garden and garden development.
RESPONSIBILITIES: Among the responsibilities for the Executive Director are the following:
- Manage the day-to-day business operations of Woodlands.
- Represent WGD throughout the community.
- Supervise and collaborate with the Garden Manager and other employees or contractors.
- Work with the Board and its Committees to develop and implement policies and procedures.
- Enter into contracts pursuant to delegated authority.
- Manage the organization’s office and computer and database systems.
- Coordinate or delegate the planning and execution of special WGD events.
- Manage all maintenance and repair of the property structures and improvements.
- Coordinate and supervise volunteers and interns for office and administrative functions and for WGD events.
- Work with the WGD Treasurer to develop an annual budget and to monitor the financial performance of WGD.
- Coordinate or delegate the planning and execution of special fund-raising events.
- Coordinate and oversee grant writing efforts of the organization.
- Serve as the primary public voice of WGD under the auspices of the Board and develop relations with relevant organizations.
QUALIFICATIONS: The ideal candidate will:
- Be environmentally focused.
- Have meaningful experience working with non-profits, including in leadership roles and in fundraising.
- Understand financial reports and financial operational issues.
- Have outstanding interpersonal skills and excellent writing skills necessary for interaction with community organizations, board members, staff, and volunteers.
- Be highly motivated, organized, and detail-oriented.
TO APPLY: Interested candidates should express their interest by emailing their resume and a short writing sample to the Hiring Committee at email@example.com. Professional references will be requested later in the process.